Winning Eleven 9? Or any other soccer(football)?! PC/MAC

Discussion in 'Games' started by ich1ban, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

Does anybody play soccer games on their computer? I'm thinking about getting Winning Eleven 9 along with an controller.

Anybody have any good suggestions for a controller? Thanks :apple:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've been known to play a season or two in Championship Manager...

...but since both the creators of the game and myself is Everton fans, it's usually not a big challenge... :p

...and since it's a sim, not an action game, I don't need a controller... ;)

3. ich1ban thread starter macrumors regular

ich1ban

I never played a manager game because I don't know a lot about soccer(football), so that's out of the question!

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer is something completely different than a manager game. It's a real-time soccer game where you play the soccer players.

And if you don't know football (games), then the games from the EA FIFA series are probably the better choice for you.

However, if you're serious about football games, the Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer is the best (most realistic, hardest and most fun) game available.

One last point though, Winning Eleven 9 (USA/JP) = Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (Europe)
    Try to get Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (not sure what the number in the Winning Eleven brand is; most likely 10): it's by far better!

EDIT: Got the numbering sorted out:
    Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 a.k.a. Winning Eleven 2007, Winning 11: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007, Winning 11 10, World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (JPN), Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (UK)
    source: http://ps2.ign.com/objects/826/826538.html

5. belovedmonster macrumors regular

Pro Evo is not harder than Fifa, the difference is Pro Evo rewards using the same techniques to score that are are effective in the real game where as FIFA allows for cheap goals which are totally unrealistic due to the stupid AI. Pro Evo is about learning to play football with a controller where as FIFA is about learning to trick the stupid computer.

In no situation whether you are a football noob or a football expert would I, or any journalist writing reviews recommend FIFA over Pro Evo/Winning Eleven. Winning Eleven has been the best football game for about 15 years now and nothing else has come close. The reason FIFA does so well is because its the only game with fully licensed stadiums and team art work and the like, but gameplay wise it has never been as good and in recent years Im glad to say that theres been a greater awareness of this fact with Pro Evo/Winning Eleven selling better.

Either way, unless you want a management style game then you are going to suffer be it Mac or Windows. Theres usually ports of the console games like Pro Evo and FIFA on Windows, but they are just that ports of a console version and dont really make use of PC hardware or the online aspect.

So my answer would be to get a second hand Xbox or PS2, or get a 360 and play on that.

6. pcypert macrumors 6502

As one who actually has Winning 11 X (10) and Fifa 2007 on the Xbox 360 I feel I can share some stuff.

In the past Winning 11 was king for "hardcore fans". Here in Thailand they have Winning 11 tournaments all the time. It's what folks play. So I got Winning 11 X for my 360. It's only in Japanese :) You have to get Pro Evo at this point to get a English version of the game. They're trying to combine the names once and for all to make it easier to keep up with the product line. It's a nice game, but annoying to see the fake Liverpool logo and terrible stadium selection.

Fifa 2007 is tons better than previous Fifas. I love all the extra stuff: Ability to check on real scores and what not on live. The Challenge mode is actually challenging. For me Fifa requires more thought and real playing than Winning 11 also at this point. In Winning 11 if it's on any kind of easy or medium difficulty I can easily beat Arsenal 8-0 with Liverpool. I scored 7 goals with Crouch for crying out loud (Winning 11 even horribly crippled Crouch)...On Fifa it's rare I'll score 3 in a match.

All in all I think Fifa finally toppled Winning 11. My friends agree. I have a copy of Winning 11 collecting dust now as I struggle through the challenge mode and online play of Fifa 2007. To me there's more depth and real gameplay there. It wasn't always there, but it is now for sure.

Paul

7. ich1ban thread starter macrumors regular

ich1ban

I've been playing Winning Eleven 10 for PS2 which is what sparked my interest into getting a newer version for my mac.. I haven't tried FIFA yet...I would like to cause I never know if I would like it or not.

I might just end up buying Fifa cause it was all I could find at my local gamestop -.-

8. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I've been looking into getting a new Winning Eleven since I was addicted to the eighth installment a few years ago. I'm debating whether to pick up Winning Eleven on DS (I love portability), on 360 (50 bucks), or Winning Eleven 9 on PC (it would be cheaper and I never played it so I wouldn't feel bad about not getting 2007). I don't know which one I'll get yet. I think I'll decide after the DS review. Anyone playing the PC version on their macbook have any input?

9. pcypert macrumors 6502

My friends all have Fifa on their laptops to play in class (i'm going back for a second degree). Tons of fun on the comp...only problem is your skills created with the arrows and keys don't translate completely to a controller :)

Paul

10. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'll definitely be using a controller to play. The thing is that I can't really get into Fifa's like I can with Winning Eleven. Winning Eleven has made me play hours upon hours. Maybe the new Fifa's have caught up to pace.

11. Doraemon macrumors 6502

If you play two (or more) human players on one team, it's about understanding football. If you don't (tactics, next moves, etc.) you'll never be able to seriously compete with the computer opponent.