Winning iBook in drawing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mav451, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I was just about to fall asleep (quick nap), when my phone rings. I'm about to scold my friend for calling me to early (told her to call me in 30-40mins so i can get up), but it turns out its a guy from the University Book Center. He tells me I just won an iBook.

I mean, i have never won anything in my life. Especially in random drawings like this (drop entry into a clear box with hundreds of other ones)...

This is INDEED a strange day...i wonder if i should still take that nap.

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

3. reaper macrumors 6502

Congrats! I would suggest entering the lottery today... just to be safe. :D

- reaper

4. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha, i wonder if this is a subliminal message from fate, telling me to (really) try apple haha.

This is seriously the most unexpected in-my-face turn of events. And the funny part is i thought the drawing was for an iPod.

(I wonder if it comes with software? - that was the second question that came up in my mind, I wonder how it will turn out...)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congrats, Mav451! I would guess that it will come with the usual "iBook Software Collection" from Apple.

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

no way! he just used up all his major luck for the day. even if it was unintentional. ;)

7. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Good thing it happened to a Mac afficianado. …Oh wait, your sig.

Well, congrats anyway. I guess. :confused:

8. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

Thanks for the encouragement. Seems your just as helpful as the guy who told me to sell the iBook to buy an AMD64.

But I will ignore your negative comment because I am truly excited at this excellent opportunity to truly use OSX, as opposed to occasionally using the G5's in labs at school.

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sorry. I didn't mean any offense. I didn't know if you'd keep it or not. Congrats. :eek:

10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

i didn't know college park had G5's in their computer lab. Which labs? and Do you know which ones? Single 1.6GHz single 1.8GHz dual 1.8's dual 2.0's? Oh yea, and which ibook? the new ones, 12" 14"? Wow, i feel like a complete dork now. But congrats on the new laptop. You're gonna enjoy not having to worry about viruses.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'd say so--you certainly have no excuse not to, now! Congratulations, and have fun checking out OS X! It will at least come with iLife, and probably Appleworks as well in addition to the usual complement of stuff included with every Mac. :cool:

If you do take that nap, just try not to wake up from the nice dream.... :D

12. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well, the only one I've been going to so far is the WAM lab @ Mckeldin Library. They have 14 Dual 2.0G5's in there, hence the reason I go to the library (lol). There actually getting used a lot more now, compared to two months ago.

13. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

Ok, update guys. I called the system admin @ the UBC (Univeristy Book Center), and he tells me that Apple just dropped it off today :)

I'm going to pick it up after class around 3pm :p

-edit-
    ugh, they gave me a 800 G3 iBook...
    30GB HD
    Doesn't look like its even an ATi vid card (looks like its onboard).

BOO. So much for having fun with the OS. This thing only comes with 128MB RAM. Oh well.

14. thecombatwombat macrumors member

It's a laptop, the video has to be onboard, I'm pretty sure the 800 still has a decent little ati chip in it.

You will want more ram, but I still bet you learn to like the ibook.

15. IrishGold macrumors member

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

the G3 is a capable processor, but if you indeed don't want the iBook I'm sure there are plenty out there who you could sell it to, especially since it's brand new.

17. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well it's not all that bad. One is that I actually now OWN and personally can USE an Apple computer instead of going to the labs, which is really nice.

Second, this has 10.2.4 loaded rite now, but it seems the included a bag with 3 CDs for Panther, and a bag with iLife '04 in it as well.

I guess I will update to 10.3, but a bit later as I have a paper to work on. Anyway, I guess its time to get off the iBook rite now. The new computer smell is always nice :)

*one thing. They packed the power cord in the shape of an apple. I thought that was either hilarious or thoughtful, but either way it was pretty funny.

-Edit-
    WOW...I just let my brother use it, and he managed to KP on his first try! As it was booting up (Apple screen with circle spinning), he was pretending to type something--and I suddenly saw that oh-so-recognizeable white Power button symbol.

My brother was like, what happened? I told him it kernel panicked (of course I was more worried at how it just happened, button mashing?)...he made some random jokes about popcorn, but w/e, he's not really the computer guy in the family anyway *_*

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, it's not that bad of a computer. Just needs more RAM. But if you don't want it, you can sell it and get almost enough for another. I'd say enough for a new, or at least refurb, eMac. Or a G4 iBook if you have a little bit more $$$ (with a student discount). I just did a trade in at www.powermax.com for an old Mac I had. Got more for it than I thought. iPod here I come!

But if I were you I'd keep it. My Mom has a 500 MHz G3 iBook, with an 8 mb vid card. And I was surprised how well 10.2 ran on it.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    since u won it, upgrading it is wont put that big a dent in ur wallet congrats

20. Mav451 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yeah I know. I'll probably drop a 256 in there sometime in the summer (Maryland has 2 locations wit Apple Store now, both < 30 min away :) )

That, and i still need to upgrade to Panther. I missed Expose :(

-edit-
    Oops. Is the 800 G3 using PC100 SDRAM then? I mean, since it has 100fsb, i would presume it can't use DDR.

21. Crikey macrumors 6502

I think you are right about the PC100.

Unless you are into GarageBand, you might find the 800MHz G3 hard to distinguish from the 800MHz G4. It has a bigger CPU cache, and can feel snappier in general use as a result.

I've noticed lots of MacRumors denizens don't get RAM upgrades from Apple because of the cost. I get mine from www.crucial.com, and I'm not alone. You choose your iBook model from their list, and it's guaranteed compatible. You can save yourself some cash, and half an hour in the car. Personally, I'd max out the RAM so you can do all that cool Mac multimedia stuff in style.

Congrats!

Crikey

22. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    My girlfriend has a 900mhz G3 iBook, and I can hardly tell the difference between using it and my Dad's 1.25GHz G4 PowerBook for normal user tasks (like web browsing, emailing, word processing, etc.). I think for the most part with those kinds of apps the most limiting thing is the speed of the hard drives (since they both have 4200rpm drives) which slows down the launch time. It also slows down the bootup speed.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I used to have the 800 iBook, it was my first Mac and I was very happy with it. I agree that you should upgrade the memory, but don't buy it from Apple! A lot of people recommend Crucial, but I don't like them due to their ridiculous international delivery rates. I have used MemoryX without any trouble :)