Wintel 17 inch laptop....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Raiden, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Raiden macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
  2. Raiden thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    well I guess noone cares. I thought you guys loved bashing wintel when they copy us?

3. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2003
  4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

What's with that retro 1978 design style?

It's not working...
  5. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Re: Wintel 17 inch laptop....

There are already about 4 widescreen 17'' laptops :p

HP, Sony (I think), Sager, and Toshiba. There might be one other but I cant be sure.

That Toshiba may be ugly, and I believe it is, but it does come with a ****load of features that are extremely useful as a desktop replacement.
  6. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    many toshiba models, and some by dell, are like volvos...not much on design, but built sturdy

but thank god macs have that sturdiness of those and at the same time a rather lightweight form factor

sometimes sony comes close when it comes to great laptops which are light and are powerful, but apple is still the best

the toshiba is too funny at ten today's standards, that is not a portable computer:p
  7. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    That Toshiba laptop does not look much like a desktop replacement. It pretty much looks like a desktop.
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    anybody remember the 30 pound portables years back?

if i had to lug around a 10 pound laptop, i would also go to the gym and start working with weights to lessen the effect of carrying around a barbell feeling pc laptop

now toshiba can make killer thin and light laptops if they want to and if they wanted to make a 17 inch machine near the weight of apple's 17 inch offering, i think they could come close

there is no need for a laptop that is 9 or 10 pounds these days
  9. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I kept trying to get my Stepmom to get an Apple laptop. She wanted a PC. I told her it would be hot, and heavy, and have terrible battery life. She wouldn't listen. She bought a Dell cuz the genius doctors and PC techs at work told her to. Guess what she complains about? It's hot, it's heavy, and it gets about an hour of battery life on a full charge. She's always having problems with it, and guess who she calls for help? Not to mention the fact that it speedsteps down to half speed when on battery (and still only gets an hour, with the high-capacity battery).

And everytime I say, "you should have gotten an Apple". She hates that, cuz she knows I'm right. :D

But she won't, because she doesn't want to be weird. :rolleyes:
  10. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2003
    Its like mobile phones they were the weight of house bricks at one time and they looked like them as well now there small light and well prity dam functional if you want to use one..

Eventualy wintel laptops will get smaller lighter and cooler.. guess its who evers designing them that is responsible for the mess they produce..

plus that thing is well hard to descib lookes like it should be on star treck

All hail the PB 12 17