Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Has anybody tried this application ( http://openosx.com/wintel/ ) on the new iMac Core Duo? I am very interested in if it is really "nearly native" in terms of performance when using Windows XP Pro.

There are certain applications (Geneology that they have been working on for 2+ years) that my parents must use that are only available on windows, but they want to switch to a Mac.

If someone tries this out, and it is better than VPC, let us all know.

Thanks,
Hickman

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Brian Hickman said:
There are certain applications (Geneology that they have been working on for 2+ years) that my parents must use that are only available on windows, but they want to switch to a Mac.
Not to hijack the thread but Reunion is probably some of the best genealogy software out there... well worth the $100 pricetag... Have you or your parents tried that?

You can export all old data as a gedcom file and import that into Reunion... :)

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Not to hijack the thread but Reunion is probably some of the best genealogy software out there... well worth the $100 pricetag... Have you or your parents tried that?

You can export all old data as a gedcom file and import that into Reunion... :)

They use FamilyTree Maker 2005 (I think that is what is it called) and it doesn't export well at all.

But I am really interested in the performance of this emulation software. I would also benefit from it, not just my parents.

Hickman

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
WHy run Windos when if you hold off a few months, i am sure that DarWIne will be ported to the new intel Macs.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
In a few months, once Darwine, WinTel, and VirtualPC are all available for the new Macs, it will be interesting to see how the three stack up side-by-side. I'm not just talking about speed within a particular app, but also how long it takes for the software to load when first launched. Being able to seamlessly move files from the Finder to the Windows app and back will also be a good benchmark. If I want to open a Visio document in OmniGraffle and then move it over to Visio (under emulation) and then use OS X's PDF engine to print it off, I should be able to do so without worrying about it. At least in theory. Whichever of these solutions gives me that will be my choice. Personally, I haven't used VirtualPC in about a year and haven't missed it once.

well, maybe once...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.