Wintel users never learn!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wano, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

hehe!
    Well yesterday I brought my 17"PB to school, during lunch I pulled it out to show my friends a skate edit i made with iMovie. Everyone who was watching complimented the computer in a very enthusiastic way. Especially one of my friends....he really liked it. Later on that day, we were talking about editng and computer for that...and I said "all I need to do now is convert all you guys to Apple!"...then that same guy who complimented my PB earlier said "I don't like apples though."....so I just asked "well what did you say earlier anbout my computer....his response "It's an apple!?!"

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ha. that's fairly typical... though i daresay, us mac users would do the same if we saw a cool computer that was windows... not that we woudln't realize it was windows, but just that we might count it out right away purely because it's windows.

good story.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Most all Mac users are Mac-evangelists, and most WinTel users are not WinTel-evangelists. Spread the word, but remember that WinTel computers have their place in this world, just as Apple's. I would hate to live in a world where everything is perfect and looks the same (I guess no heaven for me). Choice is freedom and freedom is life.

Cheers.

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Well said.

If people don't want a choice, go live in a communist country where all the thinking is done for you. Let me know how it works out for ya... ;)

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Wano

Y'know, when having encounters like this, the term "Sheep" comes to mind.

It's not like the "average" user is anti-Mac specifically, it's just that they don't know any better - they do what they're told. And what they're told is PC's are the standard - Macs are too different, and incompatible, and I've noted a tendancy for those who think they're "in the know" are actually talking and remembering Classic - ignorant of the seamless compatibilities of 10.2

Also, I've noticed that the moment they find out you're a Mac user, you're immediately written off as a close-minded zealot screaming at the rain, who will try to convert them.

They just don't think that we own these things because we prefer them for our own reasons.

6. KingArthur macrumors regular

*sigh* I too have been plagued by people who think that since I like Macs, I must be ignorant too dumb to use PCs. lol. All I do is ask them if they have the faintest idea of what hyperthreading technology means or what Ghz actually stands for. If they say speed for the latter of the two topics I laugh and start explaining what it REALLY means. lol. Then they don't question my intelligence. lol. I actually made an online quiz that I HOPE is completely correct (although some of my computer knowledge is only half-complete). If you wanna take a look at the questions check out: http://www.quizyourfriends.com/take...p20do~p20you~p20know~p20about~p20comuters~p3F and see how you score. lol. And if some of you can prove my questions not 100% accurate, I'd appreciate the input; I always strive to know as much as possible and be right about it.;)

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Never ever give your real email address to those you don't know. Remember this before you take the quiz.

8. KingArthur macrumors regular

True true. Lol. And as I am learning, never forget that people who hate Macs may try and spam you for putting up your quiz. lol. 9 out of the first 21 entries for the quiz apparently was one person who hates Apple. lol. Well, guess you can't please everyone. He got an 8 of 10 the first time, so he must be somewhat educated, but probably a pimple-faced geek at a university who has no life, no job, and no girlfriend and thinks it is funny to be immature. lol. And I know by pointing this out, he is just going to do it more. lol. Well, if he is that insecure about himself (probably a small ***** or something;)), then I don't mind him venting his anger. I hope the next time he gets lucky he doesn't shoot his load early, though;). Anyway, I know, it was my choice to post the link. lol. Anyone can try it if they like, though. Even Windozers. Enjoy:)

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

lol

i tok the quiz, i only got 3/10 though :eek: :D :D

10. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

lol, but well, even an ibook can make some people feel good. You see, some time ago when i was working on a friends ibook, in the conservatorium ( don t know if this pace is called so in english :) ) everybody was estonished, that the laptop as not gray and heavy ;-)

11. KingArthur macrumors regular

Having one of those grey/black laptops (yes, PC), I know how it feels to look longingly at my g-ma's TiBook and wish I had one. Lol. The Apple slogan should be something like: "Macs: not just a great conversation piece". ;).

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-KingArthur

I was thinking "Apple: Not Just Another Pretty Face."

or

"Apple: We're Not As Fruity as You Thought We Were!"

Sorry, had to go there. :D

13. KingArthur macrumors regular

lol. Love the ideas. Apple should come up with a new slogan, though. I mean, the last one I remember is Rip. Mix. Burn. And I haven't heard that one in a while. They need to come up with a good slogan that people will remember. lol.

14. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I stand by what I posted above, but here’s an anecdote.

I have several friends that live by writing. One night in S.F. we gathered to work on some story ideas. Some flipped out legal pads, others WinTel laptops, and I had my bright orange iBook.

“Must you always be different?”

My answer is always, “Yes”

15. dstorey macrumors 6502a

[, but probably a pimple-faced geek at a university who has no life, no job, and no girlfriend and thinks it is funny to be immature. lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

well I've not got three of them and used to be 4 before i graduated......but hey at least i'm not immature and don't have pimples....well not many.....now just where did i put my life...i think i lost it when i went into final year....

16. KingArthur macrumors regular

lol. I didn't mean any offense to anyone except the one person who decided they had the time to take the quiz 8-9 times, each time using the name similar to "macs suck and are slow" or such. Anyhoo. Sorry if I offended anyone by that remark. (lol. I still have no life, no job, no girlfriend (something I am trying to remidy, but it isn't easy dating your best friend), and a few pimples, so I guess I fall in the catagory too;).

17. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

18. dstorey macrumors 6502a

no offence taken...just bemoaning my luck with the ladies and the jobs at the moment....

19. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Off topic, you can have them all and still be unhappy.

On topic,

• get a job at an Apple store
      find a signifnat other there
      and help sell Macs to PC people

20. KingArthur macrumors regular

Spoken like a true mac loyalist. lol. I wish the nearest mac store wasn't 55miles away. lol. Then again, I probably don't have much to complain about compared to some of you. See, I think apple just has the idea that it can hire us for free to advertise for them. We do it willingly. You RARELY hear of a person advertising for Windows, though. You have the AMD loyalists and Linux loyalists who advertise for those, but rarely do you hear a person promoting Wintel unless someone from the Apple, AMD, or Linux groups starts the conversation. Then the people on the Wintel machines usually blab about what they don't know. The only thing I have people say really is how great the PC is for gaming. That is the only selling point!

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's the case that the games prove their "ability" as awsome desktop machines ...

How come you don't see people running multibillion dollar companies on Nintendos, XBoxs, Gameboys, etc.? ;)

22. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

PCs (WinTel/WinAmd) are good for more than just gaming.
    I prefer Apples, but use both. Every machine and OS has is purpose.

By the way, for clarification, doesn’t PC mean Personal Computer.
    Technically Apples are PCs.

23. dstorey macrumors 6502a

wish I could....but there are no Apple stores in the uk...but if they offered me a place in the USA I'd be off in a shot...wish I had a work permit...I've a lot of good friends in New York and a few in florida inc some very cute girls that would be cool to be my better half ;) I think for being such great allies of yours we should get special work status, especially with all the anti usa/uk stuff i had to deal with that spoilt my holiday in fance a few weeks ago.....

I've actually applied to work at Apple on their college scheme...really hope I get in but not having a permit will probs go against me even though i have a first class degree.

24. KingArthur macrumors regular

I should have said, in the personal computer department, Wintel machines have their biggest edge b/c they have so many games and they are a "standard". The reason Microsoft got established in the computer market more firmly than Apple is b/c Microsoft went where there was money......businesses. And Windows has proved to be a valuable business machine. Apple, rather, went straight for the personal market, and the computers were too expensive for most people, so IBM/Microsoft made money and Apple went bankrupt (many times). lol. So yeah, I was being a bit shallow saying PCs are only good for gaming, but when it comes to the personal market, that is where a lot of their selling points are.

And yes, the gaming industry is a multibillion dollar a year industry. Why do you think microsoft wanted a chunk? And the industry is growing by leaps and bounds every year.

25. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

For reference on the gaming industry- not to divert focus of the thread- but last year the video game industry passed the movie industry in money spent on development.