Winter's coming!! And early too!!! Yay!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ahhhh, the sweet smell of autumn, cool sou-westerly breeze, puffy clouds in rows in the sky, the air is clean, the humidity is gone. It's a beautiful day. And just to make it even better, the snow has begun to fall in the mountains. Not a lot of it and 2 months before the start of the season doesn't mean all that much but the long-range forecast is for an above-average season so here's hoping it keeps up. I'm going down in August for a week or so, so I'm hoping for a real goodun.

Hooray for winter!!!

Falls Creek carpark. 9am this morning. Still warm but you can see the traces on the runs in the background. Not much snow but as I said, after a long hot dry summer to get snow this early is pretty amazing.
    [​IMG]

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm feeling just the opposite, we are FINALLY getting out of winter and getting some WARM weather! :D

Yesterday was 60º F... that felt pretty good compared to 25º F.

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow, Chundles, I hope the Austrailian winters are a bit more comfortable than your summers. Is it true that you guys still have to wear sunscreen in the winter, though?

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You have snow is Australia? :confused:
    Around here winter is pretty much over, although we probably just got jinxed from that. It has snowed in May here before. I just wish it would stay below 60°F. :( I really need to move north.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thank goodness for that lilstewart92.

Enjoy your winter Chundles, I on the other hand am looking forward to warmer weather. :)

6. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, at the ski resorts you certainly do, not so much down here on the coast but if it's a sunny day in winter and you're going to be out in it all day it's a good idea to slop some on.

And yes. We have snow in Australia. We have more snow covered terrain than Switzerland. Our mountains aren't very high (top out at 2228m or ~7500 feet) so the runs aren't long but I've yet to ski anywhere that has a better atmosphere and I've skied in many countries. It's just such a party feeling down here and there's nothing that compares to skiing amongst the gum trees.
    [​IMG]

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That was my first thought too. :)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Cool, snow does exist in the "land down under". ;) :)

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

10. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Hah, that's funny. Here topping out at 70F (21 real degrees) is considered "cooling down."

Winters here in The Gong are considered "cool" when the top is at about 15C (59F) A cold day in the ski fields is normally a minimum of -15C (5F) to a max of about -2C (28F). Normally it goes from about -8C (18F) to a little over 0C (32F).

Coldest temp recorded in Australia is -24C (-11F) so yes, winters are far more comfortable. I remember getting back from a winter in Canada where I got used to and considered -20C "comfortable." I got back at the beginning of our winter and it was 15C in Sydney. All the Sydneysiders were giving me strange looks for wearing shorts and a tshirt whilst they were all rugged up. Bloody soft they are.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ha, thats a great phrase Chundles, I just love Australian/British lingo! :) :)

12. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm going to miss winter :( we're just getting the heat now. and it's brilliant! but I'll want it cold again soon. because! as a wise old friend once said...

You can escape the cold, but not the heat.

14. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I am going to miss the winter as well :(

Down here the average temp in the winter is around 72 - 74 F

summer is a constant 90 - 99 F with 100% humidity! :eek:

15. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Winter refuses to leave us here. It's still like February.:mad:

16. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Winter is so cool (no pun intended). :D :rolleyes:

Seriously, I really like winter. Its a nice break from the often too hot summer heat. I find it easier to rug up than to cool down.

I'm going to the snow in August as well - I haven't been for quite a few years so I'm really excited about it. We're going to Mt Hotham, but I wish we were going to Falls Creek - I like the layout a lot better. Hopefully there'll be lots of good snow and nice weather to go with it!

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We have snow in Australia? :cool:

I'm not liking these cold mornings, but other than that, I love winter. :p

18. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Up in it Brisbane it is pretty normal for winter to be around 22-28 degrees, in-fact today was 28 degrees. Although it gets a bit to cold during the night. Well for me that is, it gets around 12-18 degrees :p

Soon I will be in Alice Springs, I wonder what the weather would be like.