Wintunnel Fans

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CMillerERAU, Feb 15, 2004.

1. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I was in a discussion with a friend about computer heat dissipation. He was impressed my Windtunnel PowerMac (Dual 1Ghz) had such legendarily powerful fans. Though he's never heard them spool up to full power I have on occasion after installing a software update. Does anyone know if there's a UNIX command or something I could use to override the software control to set them to 100% (or even, dare I say, 0%?) Trust me, I wouldn't do it for long. I love my computer and don't want the G4's going nuclear (so to speak) and melting through the case and dorm room floor.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

there was a thread on this a few months ago, i think a windtunnel... the guy accidentally used the wrong command, and the fans went to 100%, but he couldn't turn them down again. Don't remember how it resolved, if it did. Try searching... good luck...

paul

3. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I'm not sure about a straight UNIX command to make the fans cycle up, but you can pick your temperature that you want to run at. I believe the current set temp is around 60 Celcius.

Here's the site that explains how to modify the temperature table for fan control.