Winzip equivalent for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generik, Jul 3, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

I noticed that Stuffit Expander (which seems to be very popular) basically just opens an archive, expands its contents into the same folder, and exits.

What I'd like to have is more fine tuning behind this process, is there actually an archiver that'd allow me to view inside the archive first before expanding?

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to look at files inside archives, your best bet is Stuffit Deluxe 10.

3. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

You can stop Stuffit Expander (free) from automatically expanding archives into the same folder. Just start the application and check the preferences.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The buggy but cheap ZipIt will let you look inside archives and only extract the files you want to.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have been a paid user of ZipIt since Shep's grandaddy was a pup. I never noticed any bugs. However, it does not handle all ZIP files.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I paid for it, and for looking inside of archives, its fine, but I've had serious problems with it being unable to open archives that it created. It's been a while since I was using it for much, so I've forgotten the details, but it managed to corrupt several archives. The problems were not limited to my machine, as a friend in Seattle had the same trouble.