Wiping a SSD clean before upgrading

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by AT0MAC, Sep 13, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

AT0MAC

I want to wipe my SSD clean before I upgrade to Mountain Lion - but how exactly would be the most "healthy" way to do it (so I don't wear out too much of it's lifespan)?

Im thinking if it's possible to make a rEFIt USB and install HDDErase.exe to perform a secure erase command directly from my Intel 520 SSDs firmware?

2. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No need for secure erase. Just format it.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

AT0MAC

But will a format not just mark the cells as "dirty" and then install ML a different place in the SSD?

How long will it typical take before my garbage collection kicks in an truly erases the dirty cells?

4. Julien, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

macrumors 603

Data is simply 0's or 1's and not "dirt". On a reformatted HD and fresh OS X install the Trash program knows nothing about the data that "was" on the HD. To the newly installed OS X the HD is open to read/write anywhere it wants and sees the formatted HD as "blank". Unless you are afraid someone is going to steal your HD and spend lots of time/effort/money trying to recover files that would not be overwritten with the new install you are creating a problem that doesn't exist.

If you see this as a problem then use Disk Utility and format using most secure and it will writ all 0's and you will have no "dirt".

5. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you 0 out the drive, it will be "fresh", however it's not really necessary. Just do a quick format and the read speeds will still be so rediculously fast that you won't notice.

Plus, you'll never have to worry about it slowing down :p