Wiping OSX off my Bondi Blue iMac, restoring it to OS9 for games... help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seenew, Aug 10, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I have the iMac Software Install disc, I assume it has OS9 on it.. (if it doesn't I'll look again and find it, but anyway..)

Been using this iMac (well, my parents have!) for a back-up back-up computer, mostly for email. It has OSX on it (what a feat! 233Mhz!), but since I have loads of OS9 games, I wanted to wipe it clean and start fresh, so I can take it to my dorm for some old school fun.

Thing is, I've never done this before. How do I complete erase the HDD inside the iMac, to restore it to its factory defaults?

Any help is appreciated, I don't think this will be too hard, just want to do it right. :)

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Reboot with the restore CD in the drive, holding down the "C" key. If it's like a regular OS 9 boot, it will take you to a CD desktop, and you can run Disk Utility (was it called that back then? Not Disk First Aid, I'm pretty sure) and wipe the hard drive, and then run the installer program.

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Haha, you've been giving me help all over the place!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Drive Setup :)

If you want to start fresh then you should use the Restore CD, not the Install CD. This will make it "factory fresh". It's probably OS 8.1 or 8.5 on a 233 MHz machine.

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Ah, thanks. :) It's been a while since I've done anything but an OS X install, apparently!