Wired G5 doesn't connect, wireless mackbook does using airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ahollywoodcraig, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ahollywoodcraig macrumors member

I just purchased an Airport Extreme base station and I hooked up the ethernet cable from my cable modem to the wan port on the base station as instructed, and then hooked up the ethernet cable from my G5 to the lan port.
    I followed the instructions in the book exactly and my Wireless macbook (2.0 C2D) connects to the internet fine. The problem is that my wired G5 does not connect to the internet. Has anyone else experienced this? if anyone can help me through this I would be forever greatful!
    Thanks in advance,
    Craig

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

When in the network settings does it get an IP? Does it realize that it has a ethernet cable plugged in?

3. ahollywoodcraig thread starter macrumors member

It does get an IP address. How do I check if it sees the ethernet cable?

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If its getting an IP the cable should be fine. But is the IP from the airport? does it start with 10.0.1? I think airports by default still run on that.

5. ahollywoodcraig thread starter macrumors member

Under network settings in system preferences there is a 12 digit IP address. Is this supposed to be? I'm sorry but I am a complete idiot when it comes to this so if you could explain to me how to change the ip or where I should be looking I'd really appreciate it.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well what is the IP and yes it could be 12 digit. We don't the whole IP just what it starts with...its all internal anyway so its safe. It should probably be 10.0.x.x or it could be a 192.168.x.x those would be IPs that are correctly assigned from the airport. If its a 169.254.x.x then it is being assigned by the computer itself which mean you may not have any connection to the airport. It could be the cable then.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If it's not on already, go to network preferences and click on automatic DHCP. After that your Mac should get an IP which starts with 10.x.x.x and internet should work. If not, restart and then it should work.

8. ahollywoodcraig thread starter macrumors member

I am super embarrassed to admit this, but the restart fixed everything.
    Once again this forum has saved my butt. Thank you very much!
    Craig