Wired: History's Worst Software Bugs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Here, in chronological order, is the Wired News list of the 10 worst software bugs of all time … so far.

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,69355,00.html

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

They are certainly big bugs, but for the "average" computer user... well, can you say "Word 6 for Mac"?
    :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I bet Les has seen some bugs in his day. :D

4. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Isn't a bug usually an unintentional software error? If the CIA did do it on purpose, I'm not sure it counts as a bug. Maybe more like a trojan horse?

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Ugly, ugly ones. Okay, it's true... I am INCREDIBLY old. But how did you know? Word 6 reference? Man, I'm so old I used a slide rule in High School.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

So did I. :eek:

It was compulsory in secondary-school maths... also remember (and have completely forgotten about) log tables too.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That Soviet Pipeline incident woulkd be a great starting point for a Tom Clancy book. :D

I think Internet Explorer should be on that list as well.

8. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Believe it or not, the slide rule is still taught... grautuated high school in 2002 and learned about it in Trig.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Something like Red Storm Rising perhaps...

10. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I was thinking the same thing. The prologue is the destruction of an oil refinery that forces the Soviet Union to secure energy resources by, er, other means.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Where's Microsoft in the list? It spans 1990 - present.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Allegedly. If they didn't do it, then, well, I guess it was a bug. :cool:

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

What is it?!

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Do they make the real ones any more, or just the plastic stuff now? I still keep a old Pickett around, you never know when you'll need a nice, heavy blunt chunk of metal.

Twenty bucks, same as in town.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Wow. Takes me back. I did my O Levels in England in 1981 (16 yo) and we used log tables. Calculators were FORBIDDEN. We could use calculators for the A levels (18yo) though. Log tables were a pain. We learnt HOW to use them, but not WHY they worked. Life was one big senseless routine... So nothing's changed really :D Coincidentally, I was thinking about sliderules the other day. Time to Google/Wiki, I think.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had to do a little search on that Russian Explosion - and found this - very interesting.

I glad no one was hurt during the explosion, but it is also quite funny in a way since the Russians were stealing the technology in the first place.

D

17. mms macrumors 6502a

I learned about it as well, if you mean just mentioning it briefly before going back to our new, fancy TI-84s. I have trouble imagining a modern high school actually teaching kids to use a slide rule as an actual part of the course.

18. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't know if exploits count as "bugs", but surely the windows RPC/DCOM exploit a year or two ago has to be one of the biggest bugs in history. Affected four major windows platforms (98, NT, XP, and 2000 i believe) at a time when computer ownership eclipses previous growth records.

19. pinto32 macrumors 6502

We actually learned how to use it, abeit in a limited way I suppose. We spent about a week on it, because we "should know that life can exist without computers." It was kinda cool, unfortunatly, I failed to use it and thus lost it.

20. macmvn macrumors newbie

If you think you had it bad

We used to have to put them on the bottom of our shoes so we could ski to schoo. Uphill. Both directions.
    :rolleyes:

It was compulsory in secondary-school maths... also remember (and have completely forgotten about) log tables too.[/QUOTE]

21. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Yep, we talked about it a little bit in AP Calculus before going back to the TI-89 calculators (which I played frogger on...), ah I love technology. Of course college math classes don't allow calculators, but I'm a Psych major so....