Wired Mighty Mouse Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by penter, Dec 19, 2006.

1. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Hello,
    my WIRED mighty mouse's setup has somehow been changed, and i wish to return some of it's setup to their original settings.

Before this change my settings were the default ones, and now my settings are:
    -left button enabled as the primary button
    -right button enabled to function as a... well, right button (ctr + click)
    -side buttons disabled
    -middle button's original dashboard activation when clicked has been changed to a weird use that i cant explain well in words (it has to do with scrolling through windows).

What I wish to do (if possible):
    I wish to keep the left and right button setting active, but i wish to have my middle button used to activate dashboard once again. I also want my side buttons to function once again to activate the Exposé command.

What is interesting is that i didnt even know that the WIRED mighty mouse had touch-sensitive left and right regions. I thought that was an attribute specific to the WIRELESS mighty mouse. :confused:

Hope this helps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Are you sure you have a Mighty Mouse and its plugged in? Your System Preferences should display differently than they do if you have one plugged in.

I'll grab a screenie.

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It should look like the attached image:

Attached Files:

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

5. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

like i said, it is a mighty mouse. it is the standard mouse that came with my Intel core Duo iMac. It is WIRED, has a scroll wheel, side buttons and (to my surprise) right button.

this is a picture of it:

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Well then, your Mac is just a bad apple ain't it?

Try the opening the preferences in a different (preferably new) account.

7. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

i got it fixed. i did an archive install.
    by the way, janitorC7, what did you mean by reinstall? was that it??

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

For Future reference a repair permissions would of worked like a charm....just to save you the hassle of installing all over again:)

Bless

9. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

sorry, but what do you mean by repair permissions??

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

goto disk utilities, there will be a repair permission button.
    [​IMG]

11. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Has that ever actually fixed something? :confused: Not to rain on any parades or discourage any friendly advice, but that never seemed to do it for me. :rolleyes: :D

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, from my experience, "repair disk" did fix something for me, repair permission didn't.

13. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

im not sure what repair permission does, but looking back at the pictures i put on my first post you may notice that there was no picture of a mighty mouse uneder system prefs.

after doing an archive install the system prefs are how they should be: Just like how iDuck's first picture looked.

do you think repairing permissions would have done the job? if so, then i'll keep that in mind next time something happens.

14. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Repairing permissions has fixed some interface bugs for me. It certainly doesn't fix everything (not many things at all, actully. It repairs file permissions-that's it) The reason people suggest it is because it's easy and painless, and sometimes file permissions are the problem. Why not try it? Its far less painful then a reinstall. There are serveral simple things you can do to get rid of annoying problems like this one, but for the most part its like shooting in the dark.