Wired: Pete Tong - Has Apple Gone Wrong?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hob, Jan 4, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I love how he makes basically one comment about Apple getting POSSIBLY too much power and the title of the article is Apple Gone Wrong? Everything else he had to say about Apple (which wasn't much) was pretty positive. Interesting article but I was expecting more Apple stuff than it really had.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have met people who use Macs primarily because they are the underdog, the way less traveled. They complain that Apple is poised to become "too big" and will be another Microsoft. Well, TS. Apple never wanted to hang around at 2% marketshare, and they certainly didn't stay small just to pander to the hippies, yuppies and sophisticated fashionistas. They are a corporation that wants to get bigger by selling things to consumers.

This guy seems to complain that Apple's success will make them less nice and warm and fuzzy. Nonsense. They never were.

If Apple becomes the new Microsoft, who will become the new Apple? Google? or will the "I must be different at all costs" crowd be driven to using Acorns, Amigas and orphaned BeOS stuff? :D :rolleyes:

(no offense to Acorn, Amiga and BeOS users.)

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Once you take the money out of music, you get something like bebop.

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I must admit, for a very short spell in about october, when I was annoyed about many things I was using Windows at university and it was working for once. And then I was like gahhh... I'm so fed up of Mac OS X...

But then the machine crashed. I was like oh... yeah... After 3 years, the novelty of OS X wore off, but I'm glad I realised how good it still is!

Oh, and I suggest everyone goes ahead and listens to the TongCast (Pete Tong's Podcast). It's really rather excellent. And a very chilled track at the end of the latest one (#4).

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It worked didn't it? Now it'll be posted all over the Mac web. But yeah, the premise is pretty weak. Elitism doesn't help anybody. Apple is just a business. It'll do what it needs to do to survive and thrive. It'll never be as big or as evil as M$ (I hope), but to think of it as anything less than a greedy corporation that wants your money (even if they do make cool products) is somewhat naive. Counter culture is great and all, but this is why people think we're a cult. ;)

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The title of the article is wrong. It's actually meant to be Can Apple Do Any Wrong?.

*Clicks to order Mighty Mouse* ;).

8. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Some computer companies have an "innovate & build-a-community" attitude (Apple used to). Others have an "anti-competitive" attitude (eg. Microsoft). It isn't purely a function of the size of the company. Some people perceive that Apple is doing less of the former and more of the later. Some people are concerned about perceived shift. I understand these concerns and share them.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Old man Tong... :p the geezer's a '90's time capsule. :p

10. goodwill macrumors regular

this is a case of damned if you do and damned if you dont.

i dont think its ever possible to appease everyone.