Wireless Access Point Slows down Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LastLine, Oct 15, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hey all,

I've recently installed a wireless access point into my Network at the uni house.

The major problem is that it slows down the internet connection something awful on both the wired points, and the wireless points. We used to get speeds of 200kb on downloads, and now we get a few kb if we're lucky. Our current set up involves a modem/router (wired) into the main phone socket with wired cabling threading through the house into each room.

In my room I have the Wireless Access Point (WAP) set up.

Now what I'm wondering (and I'm not at the house right now to check) is whether it's possible that moving the WAP to the main modem/router, would fix the problem and sort our speeds out again. It's a fairly dire situation right now so any help is desperately appreciated.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Did you secure the access point? If not, you may have someone piggybacking to the internet on your signal and hogging your bandwidth.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

4. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I have a netgear router with similar issues. Internet is SLOW, and its inconsistent; sometimes its working very well, at other times its not finding pages and crawling along. My network is secure as well, im on a netgear router.

5. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, but soon as I disconnect the wirless access point the wired speed goes straight back up - surely that's a bit different.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It's difficult to say without having detailed knowledge of the device's configuration. I haven't used Netgear equipment in awhile (I had four Netgear wireless routers that in one way or another all failed on me -- I don't buy that crap anymore), but in my Linksys routers there's a plethora of options that could potentially affect the rest of the network. There's also the rare (but still possible) potential for hardware conflicts; your internet modem may just not like the access point for some reason. We have that issue at work; a certain very select set of Marvell Gigabit ethernet cards don't play nice with our Cicso switches.

I'd simply dig around in the settings of the access point, and make some educated guesses. If you don't know what a setting does, look it up and maybe it will give you some clue. But without seeing it I couldn't be more specific, sorry.