Wireless Access Point w/ Security

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sturm375, Apr 22, 2003.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I have a TiPB 500 Mhz w/ Apple Airport Card. I have been using a Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point, and since I am about to get always on broadband, I thought I ought to secure the Access Point. I found out last night that the security in the Linksys doesn't mesh with the secuity provision on the airport card. I can set a "passphrase" on the Linksys. Then when attempting to connect with the airport, I can enter a Password. These two are not the same thing appearently, as I keep getting error messages saying I have the wrong password.

So, I am looking for an inexpensive Wireless Access Point that will mesh with Apple's security system. I don't need the routing capibilities of the Airport BaseStation, nor can I take advantage of the "Extreme" airport technology. I therefore cannot justify the prices for Apple's BaseStation. Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]
    OS 10.2.4, soon to be OS 10.2.5 when I receive my update disc today.
    [/EDIT]

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I use a dlink, and i use hexidecimal encryption. See if your linksys supports that. I know for a fact airport works with that.

3. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure that the linksys does not have hexidecimal. As I said before, I can set up a "Pass Phrase" on the Linksys. But this is not the same as the "Pass Word" on the Airport card. I will look into the D-Link product line. Thanks.

BTW, After 4 years of waiting, Cable Broadband Rocks!:D

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i had a linksys too. the airport will decrypt the wep key into a passphrase you can easily remember. on the linksys, you will have to enter a ton of digits which would translate into your password. i dont know of any way to translate it into a passphrase, but on the other hand ive never looked for a way so somebody may know. that was the only thing i didnt like about my linksys router.

iJon