Wireless alternative to Airport

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Legacy, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Legacy macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, just a quick question...does anyone know of a wireless router alternative to Airport which supports macintosh Ibooks?

Im in the UK using Telewest Broadband 1Mbit line (cable modem) and i wanted to extend my connection wirelessly for my upcoming iBook.

As a student I can get Airport Extreme for £78...being broke im looking for a much more cheaper alternative..i dont really need Airtunes..just wireless internet.

Thanks

2. candan9019 macrumors regular

Any 802.11b/g router will work just fine, you don't need a special one for your iBook.

3. vniow macrumors G4

I have a Netgear one that I use. Works just fine connecting wirelessly and wired with little configuration.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

We run a Linksys router and never have any difficulties...

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

linksys is also a dependable brand.... but any wireless b/g router should work just fine

6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

7. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Netgear and Airport Express here. The Netgear router is the main wireless station and has phenominal range. Easy setup too.

8. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

DLINK is very known for being highly compatible with Mac, without signal failure and such. I recommend the DLINK DI-524 or the DLINK DI-624

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i second the dlink. they are pretty mac friendly, and are decent little routers. not always the longest lasting from what i've heard, but mine have lived wicked long so far.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I use an Actiontec one. It's so old, yet it has some really cool experimental features. Like USB and FireWire ports (yes, that's right. A router that allows your Mac to use one of the rubbishy BT DSL modems). A PCMCIA slot, for attaching certain supported cards. Ethereal built in. An ASCII Error option (that makes it display error messages over Telnet in ASCII art :D)