Wireless and ethernet internet at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yellow bear, Dec 31, 2006.

1. yellow bear macrumors newbie

Hiya!
    Bit of a confusing one as there may seem to be no point to doing the above, but for me there is a reason!
    I would like to connect my g4 dual processor with mirror doors to broadband but also like to connect my ibook wirelessly to the same connection at the same time. Is this possible?

I'm asking because I want to spend as little amount of money as possible on getting both my puters connected at the same time and have found a good deal on a wireless netgear modem, however only the ibook has airport and the other nothing, I'm wondering if I can do this without having to fork out more on getting the g4 an adapter or wireless card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

oh-if anyone doesn't know of any advice but knows where I can find this out any information would be handy!

Thankyou people!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as long as the router/modem you have has LAN connections too you'll be fine. my parents computer is hooked up via our router through ethernet while i'm on the wireless and we have two laptops that connect wirelessly.

3. yellow bear thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Local Area Network - essentially, an ethernet port. Looks like a big phone socket; there's one on your G4, you just need a wireless modem with ethernet ports as well.

5. yellow bear thread starter macrumors newbie

oh cool!
    The one I want to get has four of those on it!
    Thanks for your help!

So to clear it up for me a modem can send out the wireless signal at the same time as connecting to a computer using the ethernet cable?

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Yes. My modem/router lets our two laptops connect wirelessly, and the playstation wiredly, at the same time.

7. yellow bear thread starter macrumors newbie

compatibility

Now I'm here I may aswell check this too!
    The guy in PC world (only place round here to buy puter bits) says that this modem is fine for a mac:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/SuperGWirelessRouters/WGT624.aspx

is it? in your opinion? It deosn't say anything about mac on the spec or anything but it does mention something in the requirements about needing a:
    "Microsoft® Windows® 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP and other operating systems running a TCP/IP network"

Would my mac be included in that?

8. yellow bear thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Gee macrumors 65816

I don't have any experience with Netgear stuff. But as a quick guide, you need something that can be set up using a browser interface (i.e. you plug in your computer and use safari to enter the appropriate settings into the modem).

The Netgear you link to comes with an installation CD, which usually means you'll need a windows box to do the set-up. However, it lists Mac OSX on the spec sheet, so maybe the set-up CD is somehow broswer-based.

I say buy it and try. You can always return it if it doen't work.

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

uummm.......it's 1 or the other, not both. Just because a router comes with a CD doesnt mean you need a peecee to set it up. AFAIK, all routers made in recent years have instructions for web-based setup. In it's manual, it will give you an IP address (192.xxx.xx.xxx. etc) to put into the broswer's address bar, and that connects you directly to the router's configuration mode. Once you complete the set-up, reboot and you should be connected to the net.

If not, you may need to open system prefs network pane, select the TCP/IP tab "configure ipV4 as "using DHCP" and clik on "renew DHCP lease" and "apply now".

that should get you a valid IP address and a connection........

11. Gee macrumors 65816

T'was just a word of caution because my previous experience of netgear was from 3 years ago when there certainly wasn'y a browser based option. PC install disk only.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a Netgear router at college and never used the setup CD. I plugged in the router, went to the config page (I think with Netgear, it's http://www.routerlogin.com, not an IP address) and set everything up