Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
This is not specific to Macs, but I have a question regarding wireless antenna...
(I searched around but the forum but nothing jumped at me...)

My friends recently moved into my apartment complex. If possible, we'd like to share my cable modem connection. I already have a modem and a wireless router. (Nothing special, a standard wifi Netgear router...)

Currently, my 2 roommates and i share the cable modem on three laptops. The friends moving near out place have a desktop. My friends' new apartment is quite far away, probably about 200+ feet. I tried carrying my PB 12" to their place and got 1 bar (but inconsistent connection) in their front door. I'd need to go 20 feet or so more...

Questions:
1) My friends will get a desktop wireless card if we can share the connection. Will desktop wireless cards have a better reception than laptop cards? How much will I gain? (Just an estimate would be great... if anyone has experience dealing with this kind of stuff...)

2) My friends are on the second floor while I live on the first. Would it be better to put the wireless router on the second floor?

3) What are the options in boosting the antenna broadcast strength?

Thanks for any info!

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Wireless antenna

Originally posted by jxyama
Questions:
1) My friends will get a desktop wireless card if we can share the connection. Will desktop wireless cards have a better reception than laptop cards? How much will I gain? (Just an estimate would be great... if anyone has experience dealing with this kind of stuff...)

2) My friends are on the second floor while I live on the first. Would it be better to put the wireless router on the second floor?

3) What are the options in boosting the antenna broadcast strength?

Thanks for any info!

1) I don't know if the laptop cards are any better or worse than the desktop cards, but it is likely that the desktop card is not as good as the card in the 12" PB.

2) It would help some to put it on the second floor. Generally, the higher you can put the base, the better.

3) You can get an amp and a external antenna as long as your Netgear has an external antenna port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.