wireless AOL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oreomac, Oct 30, 2005.

1. oreomac macrumors member

Jan 4, 2005
    I'm having to use my friends computer to use the internet who is on AOL (& I really miss using my iBook). So I got a wireless router so we can share the internet. The problem is that AOL says that it does not support mac's with their broadband service only with dial up. I've installed aol for Mac on my iBook but the only connection it's showing is with my internal modem.

How do i get it internet working with my Mac or is it not possible. I don't think this should cause a problem but I got a Linksys wireless router & AOL are saying to use netgear routers, should I take the router I got back & change it for a netgear one?

Thank you everyone for the help.
  2. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    You should be able to get a Linksys router to talk to any service provider - you just need to know a few details before you start:
    1. PPPoA or PPPoE?
    2. VPI and VCI settings
    3. Dynamic or static ip address?
    4. DNS settings
    You should be able to find these on the AOL tech support web site.
    Once you've got the info, connect up your Linksys to the Mac with an ethernet cable. open Safari and type in the address bar. This will take you to the Linksys setup utility (part of the firmware 'inside' the linksys box, not an internet page as such). You have to enter a u/name and p/w, the default is 'admin' and 'admin'. Then you can enter the info above - follow the instructions with your Linksys.
    The 'no support for macs' means that they (AOL) can't be bothered, not that there is a technical reason for macs not working.