wireless belkin-g router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jtmalak, Jul 25, 2006.

1. jtmalak macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a wireless Belkin-G router... the problem is that I am unable to upload or send attachements (both wireless and wired). I either get an error, it thinks forever or it simply gives up and returns to the page. However, when I plug in directly to my DSL modem i can upload/send attachements works perfectly. I tried calling Belkin to no avail. Any suggestions? Or shall I return it? (And if I do return it, any suggestions on an alternative?)

thanks, jason.

ps. i have an ibook running 10.3.9

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Belkin are pretty useless. I'd go with Netgear or D-Link. Pretty reliable by my standards. Easy to set up too.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What error?
    What are you trying to upload? How large (or small)?
    Did you change the MTU settings on the router?

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

Are you sending your email via a webmail interface or through Apple mail?

5. jtmalak thread starter macrumors newbie

usually i do not get an error (but when i do it says to try again later (whatever that means)) i am basically just trying to send word doc attachments (about 200K). when i called belkin they said it is because i am behind a firewall but from what i understand i want to be. what is the MTU of the router? when i look at the setup utility i do not see it.

i am using a web based email program, but again it works fine when i plug directly into the dsl modem. unless there is some incompatability with gmail or verizon mail and the router.
    thanks.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Which webbased server?

As to belkin being useless? Why do you say that? :confused:

They're exactly the same as Linksys

Using Linksys WRT54GX firmware on Belkin F5D8230 pre-N

Using Linksys Firmware on Belkin going in reverse

7. jtmalak thread starter macrumors newbie

i use gmail, verizon or a school email account. but i am unable to upload photos to a flicker account or on myspace. the browser will just spin for a few minutes and then go back to the original state. but again when i plug into the dsl modem everything uploads instantly.

i am more than happy to upgrade firmware or use lynksys firmware but is the WRT54GX firmware compatable with the F5D7230-4?

and i claim belkin phone support as useless because they just kept having me change my static IP. the problem is when i use a set IP i can not get on the internet anymore, i believe that Verizon requires my TCP/IP settings to be in DHCP. they kept transferring my call and eventually i got accidently disconnected. perhaps useless was too strong a word, but i was a bit disgruntled by that point.