Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I've been looking for some good wireless headphones where the band rests behind the neck instead of on top of the head. I already have the Motorola BT headphones, but I would like a different, better brand. Any suggestions?

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
The company Jaybirds is coming out with their BlueBuds very soon. I spoke with their company yesterday about them. They will have some information on their website within the month and will hopefully be selling them soon after. They were announced at CES 2010 and were a best of show. They look amazing and should have a lot of great technology in them to make them sound great. I am planning on giving them a go when they come out. :)

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I have these, and I like them a alot:

Samsung-SBH500_8517_B.jpg

http://www.cellhut.com/Samsung-SBH5...0-behind-the-neck-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphones

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Had these since december. Also can be used as a handfree for phone or whatever. No complaints

flanger

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
If sound is important for you then I would strongly suggest you get non Bluetooth earphones or headphones.

sonofpismo

macrumors regular
May 20, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Does that mean you can't control the volume on the headphonescontrols or that you can't lower the volume with the ipad itself (so that it can just play at one volume)?

CURRENTLY, the iPhone OS does not support volume control of bluetooth devices. The above Sony headphones I mentioned, DO NOT have their own volume control.

However, this issue may be addressed in a future software update to the iPhone OS platform. :cool:

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
CURRENTLY, the iPhone OS does not support volume control of bluetooth devices. The above Sony headphones I mentioned, DO NOT have their own volume control.

However, this issue may be addressed in a future software update to the iPhone OS platform. :cool:

iPhone OS 4.0 supports this capability. I have confiremd that iPhone OS 3.2 on the iPad does not support it. It is also not supported in iPhone OS 3.1.3.

I own a set of Sony HBH-IS800 headphones (the set pictured above) and tested this on my devices.

Note to anyone testing with the HBH-IS800: Pair your headphones with the iPhone then power cycle (turn them off, not sleep, then turn them back on) once before use. This only needs to be done just after pairing and has to do with audio quality.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I currently use Sony hbh-ds980 and I have volume control, but I can't change tracks.. I can pause and play too on 3.2 iPad and 3.1.3 iPhone 3GS...

I really want to try out the hbh-is800 because they are the next model up from my headphones.. But I really like durability and battery life the ds980 offers at the expense of size...

flanger

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010

So, just to be clear, even if I should slide the volume down on the iPad (not on the headphones), the volume still stays the same on the headphones?

If that's that case, I don't see the point of buying these headphones (prior to the release of 4.0)

sonofpismo

macrumors regular
May 20, 2002
Orlando, Florida
So, just to be clear, even if I should slide the volume down on the iPad (not on the headphones), the volume still stays the same on the headphones?

If that's that case, I don't see the point of buying these headphones (prior to the release of 4.0)

Correct. There is no way to lower/raise/mute the volume... just play/pause control, and access to Voice Contorl is available.

It is a drawback, but they are the slickest looking and some of the best sounding stereo bluetooth headphones around. With 4.0, they'll be near perfect.

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
I'm using the bluetooth Motorola S305's and they work like a charm as does both the inset volume control and the iPad volume control. Have a looong commute so watch a lot of video's and have not had ny problems here.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I could use some guidance here. I need to replace a broken Sennheiser gaming headset, and I'm wondering if something like this exists for under $100: a Bluetooth wireless headset that will at least receive audio from my iPad, but which will also pair with my MBP and work with the Ventrilo voice app (I.e., has a mic the MBP/ventrilo can control). I am not an audiophile so amazing music reproduction is not a huge factor.

It seems like some things ive found and some in this thread would fit the bill, but I've never used BT audio before and I'm not clear on iPad compatibility or osx voice app compatibility.

Thanks in advance.

P.s., want over head, not behind.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I have been using the Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth noise canceling headsets. They are truly superb. Great sound quality, and very effective noise canceling. They remind me of the Bose QC3 except they are Bluetooth. They also have a 19 hour rechargeable battery life.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I could use some guidance here. I need to replace a broken Sennheiser gaming headset, and I'm wondering if something like this exists for under $100: a Bluetooth wireless headset that will at least receive audio from my iPad, but which will also pair with my MBP and work with the Ventrilo voice app (I.e., has a mic the MBP/ventrilo can control). I am not an audiophile so amazing music reproduction is not a huge factor.

It seems like some things ive found and some in this thread would fit the bill, but I've never used BT audio before and I'm not clear on iPad compatibility or osx voice app compatibility.

Thanks in advance.

P.s., want over head, not behind.

Yes the Nokia I mentioned in the post above is great. It also has ambient noise cancellation on the mic as well as the ears so you get clear voice outbound, and clear sound on the headset.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I ended up going with the cheapo Sony DRBT101 headphones. Pleasantly surprised at audio quality (non audiophile but loads better than stock earbuds). Transport controls and voice commands work fully on both the iPad and iPhone. Range seems to be excellent.

Only problem I'm having with them is poor audio quality from iTunes on my MBP (2007). It seems to recognize that the device is stereo but is downsampling like crazy or something; and Ventrilo won't recognize the mic, which I was afraid of and why I went pretty cheap. (very very hard to find info on this, I guess Bluetooth really never caught on for this)

Still--happy with the purchase, its nice not being tethered to a device for audio when roaming around the the house or doing noisy work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QXDSMW?tag=tk006-20

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Is there a wireless earbud model that someone can recommend for the gym? I currently use Shure SE115's and they are great. Doesn't have to match that audio quality but can't sound like junk either. Thanks.

Dogpilot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
I have been using the Sony BT100's for a while now. I wear them biking and clip them to the helmet. They also work quite well on the iPhone making and receiving calls. Be kind of cool when Apple finishes up the EDR 2.1 Bluetooth commands on both devices. It would be nice to be able to do track advance and back up.
http://www3.dealtime.com/xPO-Sony-DRBT100CX

GPN

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Budapest
MM 100 from Sennheizer

Hi there,
I have purchased the MM 100, it works good. I paired it also with my nokia phone and now I can listen to music and answer calls. The mute/pause music and answer/end call controls from the headset works, unfortunately the track forward/backward does not! And the price in 100usd approximately...

GPN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.