wireless broadband and airport

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sally an, Apr 13, 2005.

1. sally an macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Forgive my ignorance in this matter.
    I have a G4 ibook that's airport ready and I want a wireless broadband connection at home. As I'm with Telewest for phone and tv, it's logical (and cheap) for me to go with them for broadband.
    They say that I cannot do it wirelessly with a mac.
    Is this true ?
    I've read discussions about routers and airport but can't find anything about whether isps have to be airport friendly or is that down to the router ? Is that because it's irrelevant ?
    If Telewest supply me with a cable modem, can I attach a wireless router to it which will talk to my airport card ?
    or not ?........

ib g4/10.3.7 and a pb/G3 pismo and a G4/dual 1.25
    all fantastic
  2. josepho macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    Surrey, England
    You really should have no problem. All you have to do really is to buy a wireless router (though, of course, you don't need one of those ones with built-in ADSL modem!), hook it up to your cable modem, set it up, and you're going.

Some ISPs provide the wireless set-up themselves, which might make it incompatible with certain systems --- although I'd imagine they'd use 802.11 standards, which mean that it should really work with any compatible system.

Don't listen to Telewest -- just get your cable modem installed, buy a router, hook it up, go through the brief set-up and enjoy wireless all over your house (I particularly enjoy using my Powerbook in the bathroom ;) )

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Should work fine, be sure to get an ETHERNET modem and not a USB one (I don't know if this applies to cable like it does for ADSL).
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Yeah make sure it's an ethernet modem and you should be fine. I think companies like Telewest just say that so they don't have to offer tech support for the oh so mysterious Mac...
  5. grahamwallis macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2004
    Whitley Bay, UK
    I've got an Airport base station connected to the modem that Telewest provided and It's working fine, sharing the connection with 3 macs.

The only problem was the "engineer" they sent round to install it didn't know how to set-up the network/connections preferences on a mac, he would only set up a direct connection to one mac and I had to set-up the base station once he had gone.

This was about 12 months ago now so things may have changed.
  6. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    I've recently had Telewest broadband put in and the way it worked for me is that the engineer came in and did the installation through my external wall and connected it to their provided cable modem. Then I connected it directly to my laptop using ethernet (their modem does both USB and Ethernet) to ensure the connection was working, the engineer has a 'leaflet' about the set-up for mac's but no idea what to do it.

Once I checked it and he'd gone, I plugged the ethernet cable into my wireless router and off i went..... three macs connected to it and off we go. Been very pleased with the whole set-up and I started on the 256 which is being bumped to 512 for free in May :)

G4 12" iBook 768MHz RAM
    G3 700MHz iMac
    20GB 3G iPod
    512MB iPod Shuffle
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Don't worry about it. The Telewest (blueyonder) modem is an ethernet modem by default. It's incredibly easy to set up; I did it for Mum over Christmas.

The engineer will install the cable box and modem. He'll leave you with an ethernet cable and a CDROM which you can ignore. Plug the ethernet cable into your Mac and you'll be connected (once the modem's flashed a few lights and connected at the other end). To make it wireless, turn off the cable modem and plug the ethernet cable into a wireless router (Mum has an Airport Express since she also wanted wireless printing). Go through its set-up and you'll be sorted. So long as the router has a browser based interface it's irrelevant whether you're on a Mac or a PC; it's just more likely that if you call Tech Support they'll be able to help more if you're on a PC
  8. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Yeah the protocols are all standard. They just don't want to offer support for the mac. :rolleyes:
  9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    In the worst case you should be able to use your Mac as a broadcast point if it has a Airport Express card in it.
  10. sally an thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Thank you everyone very much indeed for your advice and help.