Wireless Broadband Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Clifw1f, May 8, 2006.

1. Clifw1f macrumors newbie

I've been trying to help a friend that's stuck with dial up. My friend lives in an area where cable and dsl are unavailable. (Satellite is a little too expensive).

We've found that one of the cell phone companies has service with their high speed card (Sony/Ericksson) in the area but my friend has a G5 tower and an iBook and neither have the cardbus slot.

I figure this isn't the first time this issue has come up so I'm looking around for solutions. I've checked the net for either a PCMIA to USB adapter (anything I found that sounds right isn't available anymore) or (and this would be the hands down winner) a wireless router that would take the Sony card and distribute the signal to both computers.

Does anyone have any ideas or work arounds?

Thanks.

2. portent macrumors 6502a

You'd have to be pretty desperate, but you can get a wireless broadband router like this. It uses a CDMA PC card for the connection, and serves up an AirPort connection to the computer(s).

I say desperate, because it's $280, plus service (Verizon or Sprint.)

3. Clifw1f thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks . . .

. . . it's a start. At least there is an answer. I was hoping there was a simple USB adapter that let you plug the card into a Mac without a card slot. . .

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post any other solution we come up with. Heck, I'll even post if we use this solution.