Wireless card for titanium Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by princealfie, Feb 26, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I heard that the original Airport card gets rather bad reception in the Titanium Powerbook. I was wondering whether it would be better to use that or an external PCMCIA card in the slot?

Which external third-party cards would be ideal for the Ti Powerbook? I note that most regular cards don't work with it...

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I had a PCMCIA card for my old PowerBook. It was a Linksys Wireless-G model and worked great. I can't say anything about it's performance against the internal Airport card, or against other PCMCIA cards, but, by itself, it worked just fine.

Assuming you're speaking about the TiBook in your signature...I tried getting the card to work under Jaguar, and it wouldn't recognize it. I didn't try under Panther, but it worked great for me with Tiger. Being an older 'book (the same model I had), I'm not sure what OS you have installed, so I thought I'd mention it.

3. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I have Tiger right now... I am surprised that a Linksys card works with it. Do you have a model number for it. Did you have to install additional drivers too?

4. giffut macrumors 6502

Get ...

... a Belkin F5D7010 PCMCIA WLAN card, they should be plain cheap at the moment. If they have the version number around 1xxx, they very likely carry the broadcom chipset and are recognized by osx as a native airport card. I don´t know, though, wheter they support WPA2. WPA is very likely, like the old Airport cards do with the newest airport software.

Or get one with the version number 3xxx, which was built based on the ralink RT 2500 chipset, and get the very robust driver set for OSX 10.4 on their homepage: http://www.ralinktech.com/

I myself own a PB Titanium 800Mhz attahced to a Belkin F5D7010 ver.3000 with the RT 2500 chipset and its great. I got it for US$17 shipped. You can´t get much cheaper having 802.11g speed and newest encryption technology (WPA2-AES).