Wireless card on 15" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xFU3Lx, Dec 15, 2005.

1. xFU3Lx macrumors member

How do I get to it? PBfixit.com says its behind a little door inside the battery compartment. That door isn't there. Do I have to take the logic board off?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

Aluminum. And I got it last May, so its whatever Revision that is.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So when you turn the machine upside down (with it facing you as normal) and take the battery our there is not a little door exposed facing you? Are there instructions printed under where the battery is?

It should look like this with the door open (sorry about the quality, camera phone and max file size here)

Attached Files:

5. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely no door. I was like WTF? when I opened it up and saw nothing.:mad:

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Although it's over a year old I would speak to Apple as this would appear to be a manufacturing defect.

7. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

I'll prolly end up doin that.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought that, at some point when AE and BT became standard features, there stopped being a "card" that was removable from the computer.... I don't think current iBooks or PBs even *have* externally accessible wireless cards. But I could be wrong about that.

9. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Manufacturing defect? :rolleyes:

No door in my Rev D. 15" PB.

10. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

is it the same way as a ibook where it is under the keyboard

11. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thats good news. Do you know what I need to take off to get to the card?

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Wish I could say that I did, but from looking at it, I could only guess that it'd be a fairly extensive procedure. Have you searched Google?

13. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

looking at it are you sure there is a airport card installed check sysytem profiller i think its not there !!

also if there is one it should just be open flap pull cord attched to ther card and press in it should click out

14. xFU3Lx thread starter macrumors member

I finally got to it last night. Thanks for the advice guys. I took off the keyboard and trackpad piece, took off the left speaker assembly, and then the airport card cage, and my airport extreme card was underneath it. I took it out and found some pretty nasty corrosion on it. Put it back together, booted up.

She works!!!!!!!!!!!:D

For those who didn't catch it, I found my powerbook in a puddle of water one morning on my desk.:( Someone I know had an Ibook that would turn on like mine did but not boot up when his airport card wasnt in perfectly, so he said I should try taking the card out. It works! The keyboard on the other hand is fried. I need a new one.:eek: