Wireless cards: need advice for PB G3 Pismo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pepita, Apr 27, 2005.

1. pepita macrumors member

Hi,

I need some help in setting up a wireless connection, I have a PowerBook G3 'Pismo', bought a wireless router from Netgear (WGR614) at a good price on ebay, then when it came to the card I also went with Netgear as it was available in a nearby shop, was one of the cheapest, and I'd read about the drivers offered by Orangeware. Well they don't seem to work for that model, the WG511 (although it was listed, aggh...).

The card does appear, the menu symbol shows, data is also shown in the System profiler, but it doesn't seem to do anything for my network. Is there anything else I should be doing that I'm missing, or is it just the card that's not compatible at all?

I've read the Belkin F5D7010 should work instantly with Airport software and no need of extra drivers. I can also find that in nearby shops, at a good price. Should I return the Netgear card and get the Belkin instead? Can anyone confirm from personal experience that it does work as plugged in?

I'd really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance!

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Your post didn't say what OS you are running.

I had a problem with a Buffalo Wireless until I upgraded to 10.3.2 or 3.

After that it was recognized as an Airport card. I only get 11mbs even though it is a 54G card (my Airport Basestation is only 11mbs anyway.)

Good luck.

3. pepita thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I forgot about the OS, I took it for granted - I'm using Panther, 10.3.9, the latest updates...

4. pepita thread starter macrumors member

oops, sorry for double post (got a busy server message)

5. pepita thread starter macrumors member

Ok now I've found other brands - D-Link, Buffalo, Lynksis - are also available at similar cheap prices near me. So I'll rephrase my question (I have already come to the conclusion there's no chance the Netgear will work so I'll have to return it):

can anyone recommend a brand and/or model that would work with a 820.11g, 54 Mbps router and that is definitely known to work instantly on plug-in with Airport software in a G3 Powerbook, no need for other drivers?

From what I gathered the Belkin apparently does, as it's sold also on the local Apple Store (for PB Titanium only though - does that mean it won't work on a G3?), but there's other cheaper ones from other brands. Any recommendations? I don't want to have to return a second card!

Thanks again.

6. pepita thread starter macrumors member