Wireless confusion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Erendiox, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Hi all,

Im an avid xbox user and im looking to grab xbox live with my copy of halo 2 :) . Anyway, my xbox is 2 stories up from my cable connection, which is currently wired to my 4 year old windows machine (still kicking, but im getting sick of the thing :rolleyes: ). Im thinking wireless the easiest way to go.

This gets me thinking about perhaps killing 2 birds with one stone. Im most definitely buying a powerbook for college next year (hoping for that G5 :cool: ), and having wireless internet around the house would be completely awesome, so Im currently looking into the airport express. Then, I think of a third bird to kill. Broadcasting wireless music to my stereo system would be great too. So right now im thinking about putting an AP express up in my bedroom to do all 3 of these things, airtunes, wireless internet, xbox live. Heres where the questions come in.

- I obviously need a wireless component to broadcast the signal from my cable modem on the bottom floor. Am I going to need to buy 2 AP expresses to pull this off? Is there a cheaper way?

- Does the ethernet jack on the AP express act as an both an in and out? In other words, can I run an ethernet cable from a AP express (recieving a wireless net connection) out into my xbox for live?

Thx in advance

2. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

2. No I don't think it works as an out connection 1.
    1. Just go with one airport extreme. Put a wifi card in the PC. Put the cable modem downstairs with the express. Unless the cable modem has to be up there, just get a linksys router (802.11g) or something make that your internet, and then have the airport express downstiars.

I think that should be right. Enjoy your wifi it's alot of fun!

3. dav macrumors 6502

Get an Airport Express for your main signal (i.e. to broadcast to your powerbook, get the Cable/DSL right into it)..

Pick up this to receive the signal for your Xbox.

Enjoi

4. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Err. forgot about the Xbox. Yea that or.. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xboxwirelessadapter.htm works awesome.

5. dav macrumors 6502

Ah yes, that looks fine as well... Both are in the $80-$110 price range + $129ish for the Airport Express...

$229 for complete wireless? Not bad in my books.