Wireless connection drops every now and then..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Music_Producer, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    I can't figure out this one..I have a linksys wireless router.. and my connection drops atleast twice a day. to fix this, all I have to do is simply power off and on the linksys.. and then everything's fine again.

I tried the same with my airport extreme station.. same thing happens. I have a westell dsl modem plugged into the linksys/AE. Any tips?
  2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Dec 8, 2005
    The Opium Garden
    do you have a home run running to the dsl modem or is there a splitter between the (wallplate or enclosure in the closet) and the modem? if there is a splitter make sure it is at lead 1GZ... and if it is, take it out of the eqation and make sure you ahve a home run (dedicated cable running the the DSL modem).
  3. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2005
    Mine does the exact same thing. Not the intel mac aiport issue, no, but the aiport card not being able to see my router at all (but it does seeother routers in my house) Very annoying. But unfortuately I do not know how to fix this.
  4. Music_Producer thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    Hm.. there is a splitter.. I'll take it out and have a dedicated phone cable going in the modem.. but it was always configured like this since the longest time (2 yrs now) The problem's just come up since the last week or so.. I'll try and see if it works, thanks!
  5. aleni macrumors 68000

Jun 2, 2006
    i have the same prob. but i think its my linksys wrt54g that is bitching. its twice or 3 times a day the router dont give any signal, not even with a lan cable. i have a macbook, benq notebook and a desktop and al of em dont work when the router shows its evilness error. the notebook can see the broadcasted wireless signal but wont connect, and the desktop which is winxp is saying "limited or no connectivity". i have to reset or plug off then plug the power cable back to have the router working normally again.

this sucks. i think its my router being broken.

im buying belkin pre-N soon.
  6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I rather like Belkin. I think they have very stable routers. I don't like Netgear. I REALLY don't like Netgear.
  7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    similar problem with my imac and my dlink router.
    it happens when i 'wake' it from sleep mode.

the imac sees my network by name but says it cannot connect.
    rebooting fixes it but what a pain.

as this is my first mac and only about 45 days old, i am not yet savvy as i was at debugging windows connection issues.
  8. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    I've had this problem maybe once a month with my 12 G4 and airport extreme. I've done restarts of the Powerbook to fix it.
  9. aleni macrumors 68000

Jun 2, 2006
    restarting the macbook doesnt fix the prob in my case, coz its not only the macbook that cant connect to the router, but all of my 3 computers. 2 desktop, 1 with lan cable and another of it with a pci wifi card and another notebook (joybook).