Wireless connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xJulianx, Mar 16, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

We have had our wireless network running for about 2 years trouble free now, it has consisted of 2 PC's (1 LAN, 1 wireless) and my MacBook (wireless). Today, I decided to secure our network as it has always been completely open, so I logged into the router and setup WEP encryption.

The router then rebooted itself, the LAN PC connected fine after asking for the WEP key, as did my MacBook (of course). Unfortunately the 2nd PC that connects wirelessly doesn't work. I have looked through the routers manual to no avail.

Basically, what is happening is when I click 'show available networks' on the PC, it displays numerous networks as you would expect. When I click to connect to my network (which is displayed as having a strong signal) it doesn't give me a chance to enter the WEP key, instead after a 3-5 seconds it comes up with a message saying "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, then try to connect again".

Of course, I refreshed and alas, my network showed up once more, again displaying full signal strength. I'm not sure what to do, I've tried varying the type of WEP encryption and the same thing is happening everytime.

On a side note, out of interest I clicked on our neighbours network which is also WEP secure, and Windows came straight up with a box to enter a WEP key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Try to restart your router (unplug for 10 seconds and plug it back in) then try connecting your PC before you connect your MB. I ran into similar trouble when setting up the router at my parents house under a secure setting, and it worked for me. (I don't know why, it just did, so I'm hoping it will for you too mate).

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Just tried this but nothing has changed. Thanks for the reply anyhoo.