Wireless Died...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by merantz, Sep 13, 2006.

1. merantz macrumors newbie

:confused: I have an iBook (4 yrs old) with a wireless connection...been working well for a couple of years. My laptop received mail at 2:00AM and the next scheduled mail retrieval would not work. I assumed it was the Airport Card since my Belkin router was lit and my Airport Express was showing a green light. I checked the Airport Card...it was connected...nothing loose.

SO....I decided to stop procrastining and went out yesterday and purchased a new MacBook. I set it up last night and the wireless connection is NOT working on this one either. :(

Now...I have NO idea what to do next. I assumed (my first mistake) that because the router was lit - it is working correctly and the same for the Airport Express.

Where do I begin? Even though I have set up all these connections myself, I am still pretty clueless when it comes to troubleshooting. Plus...I am pretty clueless with terminology. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thanks in advance!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Is the network working if you connect with an ethernet cable? If so it suggests something is wrong with your airport if 2 separate systems won't connect wirelessly but work with a direct connect. Can you see the airport signal OK?

3. merantz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes...I am connected with an ethernet cable. When I open "Internet Connect" Airport is turned on and the signal level is lit all the way across. However, the status says: computer to computer - status not available and the status in the menu bar is also not lit.

The green light on Airport Express is also lit. Is it possible that would be lit but not working?

4. merantz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's alive again!

Just wanted to say...things are okay now. I ended up calling Apple and their suggestion was to call Belkin and have them walk me thru resetting my router. After 40 minutes with the Belkin techie - I was finally up and running again. :)