Wireless. . . Do you still need a modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Shrek, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

If I were to set up a wireless cable network would I still need my cable modem? Would I have to get a new cable modem? What kind of cable modem would I have to get? How does this work? :rolleyes:

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

3. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

you will still need your cable modem because you plug your aiport base station into the cable modem. What you don't need is a router since the airport does this.

4. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Doesn't the airport base station stick to the wall or the ceiling or something?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If by "wall or ceiling" you mean a table, and by "stick to" you mean sit on, then yes, that's it precisely :)

Building networks, however small, is one of my favorite activities. If you're having troubles, think of it in terms of a data stream-- where does the data go from where? From the internet it comes through your cable modem, which connects via Ethernet to your Airport base, where it takes flight and transmits to your Airport card(s), and víola, your computer is wired :)

As was said, normally one would have to worry about a router, either hardware or software, but Airport's built to share physical connections...

pnw

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Is it best to place the airport base station in a place that is about equal distance from each computer in the house to get the best reception possible?

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it's got a mounting bracket that you can screw into any surface

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah. Try to put it somewhere far away from anything that will mess it up. For example, my cell phone screws up with all my computer components as soon as I start to use it, or as soon as it starts ringing. Maybe it could be your dining room center-piece :D:D:D....

9. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

One more question: If I get a wireless 802.11x cable modem, then I don't have to run a cable from the modem to the base station, right?

10. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I suppose this modem just might work with the base station, eh?

11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

If you use that modem you posted above you don't need an airport base station. That will do the job that the airport base station was going to go.

BEN

12. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Thanks. That's great. That also may speed things up a little bit, eh? This is because everything all comes to one place on the network without having to go through a base station. Am I right?

This discussion is raising more questions than it is answering! ;)

13. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

There is a actually a program that you use when setting up the airport that shows you the strength of the signal on the machines being used so that you can find the best position for the base station.

If you are using this modem, though, I do not know if there would be a similar feature

Just another question for you
    :)