Wireless Dongle

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tclare, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Tclare macrumors regular

Hi am looking for a USB wireless dongle, that will work with my iMac, running OS 10.3. I am based in the Uk, and i would prefer to get the product from amazon, but i am up to buying it from a different store, as a last resort.

Thanks

Tclare

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

the other option is an ethernet based adaptor. These will work on any computer with ethernet with no drivers to install. I've had great sucess with my linksys wet11 (the linksys wet54 is the newer version of this)

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Hi there - I found a wireless USB dongle that works great with my PowerMac G4 on OS X 10.4.8

I bought this Wireless adaptor to originally use on my Windows PC before I got my Mac.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=45079&doy=12m2

I then got my Mac, trashed my PC and put this adaptor into a spare USB 2.0 slot on my Mac. I went to the homepage of the manufacturers and downloaded the Mac drivers which I then installed and ran before connecting the adaptor.

I have to say that it works a treat and connects wonderfully to my wireless router in my living room.

There is only ONE problem. I turn off my Mac every night (it's in my bedroom) and upon turning back on, I have to un-connect the adaptor and connect it again before my Mac recognizes the adaptor. I then have to run the adaptors Wireless Utility and re-type my WEP key back in again.

Its a little annoying (my Windws PC automatically recognized the adaptor and connection upon booting) but once connected its nice and fast on the Mac.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get the Mac to save the configuration and recognise the adaptor on boot-up??