Wireless drivers on old Macs

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Hathaway, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Hathaway macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and to the Mac world in general, and I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out. After consulting a ton of forums and Penmachine's wonderful site on how to get old PowerBooks (like my 3400 I'm trying to knock into shape) onto wireless networks, I'm just about to give up. I've used the appropriate drivers for what I'm running (OS 7.6.1 with OpenTransport 1.1.2) on both my 3400 and my 1400 with a 1150 TrueMobile Dell wireless card with no success. The drivers seem to install just fine, but then when I go into AppleTalk or TCP/IP the option to select my wireless connection isn't there. I've tried restarting with the card in, with it out, basically everything I can think of. I tried installing the drivers with the card in, with it out, no go. When I try to open the WaveLan Setup control panel, I get a pop-up that says I need to put the card in and select it in AppleTalk (which when I try, AppleTalk lacks the option to select the card as the connection), followed by another pop-up that says that the WaveLan Setup cannot be used with this Macintosh. In addition to this, all the Readme's attached to the drivers say that they SHOULD work with what I've got. I don't see what I'm missing. If I weren't so poor I'd upgrade the memory and the OS to 8.6...but it's not free yet. Please, any advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
  2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    The Dell cards to not work under System 7. You have to use Mac OS 8.6 or higher, with the latest version of the Orinoco software. They are based on the WaveLAN cards, but they are either not identical rebranded cards, or they are rebranded Bronze cards (which also do not work - only Silver and Gold).

Only authentic Lucent WaveLAN or Proxim Orinoco Silver / Gold cards work.