Wireless DSL for FPS gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by yoda13, Jun 4, 2004.

1. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Ok, so here goes my question that I have no idea about. I live in a rural area and up unitl this month, my only internet options have been dial-up, which I use, and satellite internet (way too expensive and unusable for online gaming). I just found out that wireless DSL will be up and running here by mid-July. It operates like wireless broadband cards from verizon, sprint, etc. So what I want to know is this, will I be able to use this service with my FPS games, or is it like the satellite and unusable due to its delay in transmission?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I wouldn't imagine that it is based on standard Wi-Fi 802.11g/b standards, so it's hard to say, but I would think that you'd at least have a more decent upload speed. Any web information you could provide would help. Or, call the company and ask them. What about cable internet?

BTW, I like your user name. :cool:

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

wireless DSL is actually a misnomer that has gained in popularity as a description of a form of wireless broadband. It is basically radio-based wireless 2-way communication that can run the same basic bandwidths as true DSL.

they say wireless DSL because people will then relate it to DSL, which is probably a fairly accurate (non technical) association, because the speeds, functions, and limitations of DSL pretty much apply right now.

The FCC is still finalizing/discussing plans for wireless broadband regulations in the US, but europe and china and some other places are already using it this year, especially in rural areas where traditional solutions won't work.

"wireless DSL" is cheaper in general, than satellite internet, but it works in a very similar way. Typically, this means that transfer speeds are asynchronous...in other words the uploads will still be pretty slow...bad for FPS games, but probably still playable. That said, the theoretical top end for wireless broadband is in the GB/second, it will just take a long time to get there from where we are. And it may never be as cost-effective as hard-wired networks...it's still a grey area.

in short, "wireless DSL" is a good alternative to satellite internet if you're in an area that has no other broadband access. Performance will be about the same, but in the future you can expect it to rise dramatically. w-DSL will be cheaper in the long run, too.

if by chance your ISP is somehow offering w-DSL with a synchronous transfer rate, then I would definitely jump on that opportunity. I'm almost certain they won't be, however. good luck!

4. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Thanks, yoda is my favorite :D I like your avatar

:cool:

Benpatient, I took your advice and called the company after a thorough and complete read of the web site. Here is the answers that I got: Upload and download speads are the same. They offer packages up through 3mbps, though I can only afford up to the 512kbps. It connects through a standard ethernet connector after they mount the equipment outside, which is free and there is no contract or equipment to buy. The guy said that the latency is very good and if it is not as good as my friend's dsl that lives in the city then I can get a free months worth of service. I assume that since it connects through a standard ethernet cable it will work with my airport network. What do you guys think?

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Just to let you know that I'm using Wireless Broadband since I'm outta range from the exchange and it has done well for me, I can still play games just as well as my friends who have standard broadband, of course there might be a very slight difference in the latency but you won't notice it, even when on network games :)

6. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

just to check, im in australia but a major city, so we can get normal "cable" internet to our house, which then goes into a router and then wireless to my new pBook with 802.11b

Is my latency/ping going to be worse because I am wireless in my house? I have heard rumors of "packet loss" but i have no idea whether this affects me or not?

7. aldo macrumors regular

Totally wrong.

Satellite internet is slow in latency terms because of the sheer distance it has to go and the speed of light. 'Wireless DSL' which is usually just 802.11b/g or 900MHz if trees are in the way will only go about 40miles maximum and therefore no latency problems.

There is no reason that upload will be slower. Also, do you have any idea how much bandwidth a FPS needs? It's less than 64kbit/sec. It's all the latency times that count.

Edit: 'Wireless DSL' will be perfect for your needs, as long as they have a good speed connection at their backend otherwise at peak times it may slow to a crawl.

8. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Thanks guys, they said that the service will be available for install about the middle of July or so, so as soon as I am back from vacation at the end of July, I am finally going to have broadband :D

9. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So pardon my ignorance bumping in...but the ears are perking up. I thought wireless DSL was a 3G service (CDMA or GSM or sumpin') that used wireless PC cards to get access at fairly high speeds, but doesn't seem to be the case.

So how does it work mechanically:

"Wireless" unit from the DSL company that plugs into the wall for power but no wires for signal, just the antenna ---> your router or wireless gateway ---> your computer?

In other words, are most of these solutions cards that go inside single PCs or some kind of base station that is analagous to the 802.11a/b/g base stations but longer range (WAN instead of LAN)?

Also, just out of curiousity, what are US monthly prices like? I couldn't find much about this on the web. :(

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Maybe you've realised this, but have you considered a possible cause for the latency your geographical location? Are these servers in Australia or in that area?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also, (sorry to be US-centric :)) who are the major service providers?

13. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The service that I'm with use WIFI technology (802.11b) using your everyday wireless routers with external aerials etc

As for my setup it goes:

Computer
    TO
    Airport Base Station
    TO
    Wifi Box connected to Aerial which connects to Wireless High Speed Connection

14. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Best I can tell, this is the way that the service coming to my area will be set up as well.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So by aerial, do you mean a *big* roof-mounted one, or an indoors wi-fi extender type of one?

16. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

no, the big roof mounted one, though I don't think its really all that big. You don't even have to mount it if you don't want to. They offer a tripod type of arrangement, though I am going to mount mine, as we have been having some unbelievable storms as of late, and if I had it and it wasn't securely mounted, it would be very far away at this point :D

17. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

yeah there is a server in Perth (so about 4000KMs west of me in Melbourne) and I get a good ping on that. Playing on a server in sydney, my ping san be as low as 10! :O :D