Wireless External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lom8104, Mar 28, 2005.

1. lom8104 macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    Does such a beast exist? I would like to get an external hd for my powerbook to use as a backup as well as a place to rip CDs into lossless :D

Anyway, I would like the hd to have firewire for big backups but to be able to be accessed wirelessly so I could place it away from my computer (so if some huge disaster occured such as a fire it wouldn't wipe both out)

So does this exist? If not, is there a market?
  2. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    If it does, it would be way to slow. No use for such a thing as of yet. :)

Nice concept if the data rate over wireless was on par with FireWire 400. :)
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    The best you'll do over WiFiG (802.11g) is about 6 MB/sec, under ideal conditions, and it won't be physically far enough away to spare it from a fire that's close enough to consume you system. Why can't you plug the FW in when you need the drive, then disconnect it and put it elsewhere when you're done? Anyway, I haven't seen anyone advertising a 30-40 MB/sec disk drive with a 6 MB/sec (best case) WiFi interface, and I can understand why nobody has thought to try to market such a product.
  4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Such things are available, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Search Google. I know ASUS makes a 802.11g enclosure, and I'm sure others do.

I'm not sure how well they'd work for your situation, as what you're really looking for is a rotating off-site backup, but so be it.
  5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
  6. lom8104 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    This looks sweet! thanks!
  7. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2003
    Between a rock and a midget