wireless file transfering, OSX <-> XP Pro???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Jul 17, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

I am laying my hands on xp pro for the first time and i want to file transfer between it and my ibook running 10.4.2 through wireless 802.11g and i have no idea what i'm doing.

can anyone help me?

tutorial online or something?

thanks,

r.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Our own thread by edesignuk is pretty awesome. If you follow it closely it should be pretty easy. I wirelessly transfer files between Tiger and XP literally every day. It's very easy. :)

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

right now my pc is brand new and out of range of the wifi my ibook barely gets.

so the pc doesn't even have an ip address, i think.

the stickie seems to only have info for wired networks...?

i would like to be able to have the pc's wifi card network with my ibook's airport card without a hub. ?

r.

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

buy yourself one of those USB key drives (you can get the 1gb cruzer mini for $40-50). save yourself the hassle of dealing with networking.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I agree with the advice about using a USB key - it'll probably be less headache overall. But what you're trying to do is set up an "ad hoc" wireless network. As long as both computers' wireless settings are set up to allow that, then it should basically just happen. However generally speaking you should disable that except when you're specifically using it, for security's sake (since most people aren't going to go to the trouble of strongly securing their ad hoc connections).

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, thats what i've been doing...
    but i'd rather use wireless, thus the question.

one solution that would work with a wireless basestation is using ichat with the pc equilivent. i forget what the pc equilivent is.... and file transfer that way.

r.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

And thus my answer. :D Just set the wireless on both to allow "ad hoc" mode. They should be able to find each other at that point.

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Can I just say WiFi is really really really slow for file transfer? I tried transfering a 100 MB file last night and it said it was gonna take 30 minutes. Pfff.. glad I've got a USB memory stick :)

9. briangig macrumors regular

802.11b? yes...slow, old

802.11g is pretty fast.

10. Gee macrumors 65816

Did you try just doing 'create network' from the airport menu on your ibook, then joining that network with your pc using that 'add new network connection' wizzrd thingy?

11. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i got my ibook and workstation to see each other creating an adhoc network, but thats it. tried the ip thing, other thingies. no luck. sharing and stuff, nothing worked. what can i do?

r.

12. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

NOTHINGS WORKING!

pc says it can't connect... ibook says similar such things....

why is it so difficult to get anything networked?! the plight of the information age! i want the communication age!

the pc is now running norton antivirus, but i think that wouldn't cause difficulties...

pc w/xppro, airport express, ibook/tiger......?!?!?!?!

followed the instructioons to the t.....

please help some generous guru out there?

r.

13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Try this:

1) Turn on sharing -> remote login (SSH) on your Mac.

2) Download WinSCP onto your Windows box and install it.

3) Use WinSCP to connect to your Mac (you'll need to use your Mac login and password).

4) Transfer files.

14. Gee macrumors 65816

15. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

16. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

have the winscp3 program on the pc,

for the host name i put in my mac's computer name (?), user name is my mac's admin login user name (?), the password my mac's login admin password (?), port number is set to 22 (?), and protocol is set to SFTP?)....

.... and "host does not exist"...

hmmmm.....

any help apprecieated. been trying to tackle this for days now!

(mac tiger, airport express (not hooked up to internet), winxppro... both computers see and login to the express, but don't seem to see each other. itunes on bonjour don't see each other either...

thanks!

r.

strange also: pc can connect to the wireless router hooked up to the internet, the same as my mac is right now, but it can't see the internet. "no connectivity" it says. ?

would norton utils have anything to do with this?

r.

17. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

cables are much much faster than wifi (and more reliable), also with a mac you don't need a crossvoer cable to conect to computers without a hub, the mac will detect it and do the crossover thing with a normal cable, one of this little great things from the Mac.

18. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

buy yourself a blank CD-RW for $0.50 ;)

19. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

sigh.

it's like when you ask someone which way is north, and they ask you where you are going.

i want to know how to transfer files wirelessly. not with an ethernet cord, not with a cd or a usb drive. (even though they don't have wires)...

20. Gee macrumors 65816

Ok, some things to do.

1. Do you have Windows Sharing switched on in System preferences/Sharing on the mac?

2. Do you have a shared folder set up on the PC? (Right click on your selected folder, choose sharing, follow the instructions - haven't got a pc to check)

3. Are both computers connecting OK to Airport? And getting an IP address (on the PC, you can tell by the little icon in the system try; on the mac, through the airport menu)

4. If neither are for the moment connected to the internet, try also turning both firewalls off. On the Mac, it's in System prefs/sharing. On the PC with XP and service pack 2, I think it's in control panels.

5. I'll reinterate that the easiest way to test things is to connect the two up via a cable first, see if they see each other, then try wirelessly.

Any of these things any help?

21. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

yes on all counts. i tried an ethernet cord and everything was fine. sharing immedieat and easy. (a five gig file transfer got inturrupted, and when i try to delete the files from the pc it tells me access is denied. strange)

so why not through wireless?

thanks for your help!

22. Gee macrumors 65816

Do either of the computers get the Airtunes speaker option in iTunes when connected to the express?

23. Gee macrumors 65816

Ans actually, in Airport Admin Utility, under 'Network', what do you have it set on? Distribute IP addresses?

24. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i have airport express set to distribute ip address, and share a single ip address using dhcp and nat.

does that sound right?

25. Gee macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, yes.

So, can you see each computer from the other but just not connect? Or can neither see the other? If you open Network Utility in Applications/Utilities, it'll tell you the IP address of the Mac (Network interface en1 is the wireless one I think). If you try pinging that IP address from the PC (Open up the command prompt from the Run menu, and type ping 10.0.1.1 or whatever), does it ping or not?