Wireless for 1400cs?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by im_to_hyper, Jan 1, 2006.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey there -- this isn't exactly a "collectors" question but what the heck, why not ask it here. If I ask anywhere else I will be told to get a newer computer :D

So, here's my situation. I just got a 1400cs off Ebay for like $35. It has a 750MB HD and 44MB of RAM, so I didn't think that was too bad.

It only has a floppy drive, no CD-ROM, and I am assuming no ethernet. What I want to do is use my SCSI CD-ROM (if I can find it) and install OS 9 and then use OS Helper to install 9.2.2 like I did on my 5500/225 with 64MB RAM (it had 32 when I originally installed it)

I then want to get some sort of wireless card so I can give this laptop to my cousin to use with MSN Messenger and be able to check Hotmail. Otherwise, I will just sell it if it becomes too big of a project for me.

What card would work the best with OS 8.6/9 laptops?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't know a card off the top of my head, but the primary problem is finding a 16-bit PCMCIA card -- the 1400 is not 32-bit CardBus compatible. DOn't buyh anything unless you can confirm it is 16-bit.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Ahhh, that's why I wanted you to IM me in that other thread....to see if you were interested in my 1400c/133. Oh well, if you're still interested, IM me.

You can get a Lucent WaveLAN (I think) PCMIA Card and use it in these.

Mine has 32MB RAM and a ~1GB HD and it actually ran 9 pretty good when I had it on there. Nothing great though. Can't help you with the SCSI CD Drive, mine just has the little internal removable bay one...

EDIT: Check THIS out!

4. racepres macrumors member

The best "older" powerbook investment I ever made was that scsi adapter cable.
    Works to attach cdroms, cdrw drives, zip, [you get the point] to my 'books" from the 150 to the wallstreet and all in between. BTW w/ my 1400c/166 I run os 8.6 cause it still allows ram doubler2. and running os9.1 w virtual mem enabled seemed "instable" . Good luck... MV

5. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey there -- do you have a picture of the SCSI adapter cable so that I can know what I am looking for?

6. racepres macrumors member

Let's see if this works...

Nope... Check yer IM or e-mail... I aint smart enough to post a pic... Maybe someone out there can help me... i even have a "real" website so I spose I could be using it for pic hosting??? If I knew how to set that up. MV

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Host the image. When you get a working link to the image, enclose it in the img tags, like this:

[ img]link to image[/ img]

Remove the spaces that I put in the tags, though. I had to put those to show you the code.

8. racepres macrumors member

Thanks ITASOR, I will give it a go later after I set up [upload] an addrtess at the site... Will I have to upload the images as I do site maintenance or can I create a shortcut for myself?? Later MV

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Just use http://imageshack.us and upload them. Then use the "direct link" that it gives you (last one) between the image tags stated above.

good luck!

10. racepres macrumors member

Well now... that seems easy!!! thanks again and sorry im_to_hyper for hijacking the thread.... later MV