Wireless for 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by Josh396, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I've been searching for an answer to my question and I can't seem to find an answer so I apologize if this has been discussed before. My question is, will any USB wireless adapter work with the 360 to enabled wireless internet? I read somewhere that any device should work but haven't seen anything else about the topic. I've seen USB dongles that you can plug into a computer for Wireless access like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000636JD8/103-6325170-8231849?v=glance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance. Does anyone else this would work? I don't feel like paying $99 for the Microsoft adapter. Thanks.

2. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I would love to know the answer to this question also. I was thinking about picking up an Xbox360 in the near future but I absolutly refuse to pay a hundred bucks for something that probably cost 10 dollars to make.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You can use any ethernet/wireless bridge for your XBox. I beta tested XBox Live three (?) years ago on a wireless connection, long before any official wireless solution existed.

A bridge has an RJ-45 connector that simply plugs into your Xbox. As far as the XBox is concerned, you've directly plugged it into the network.

4. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Does that apply to the new Xbox 360 though?

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you just plug the ethernet bridge into the 360's ethernet port.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Applies to pretty much any device with an ethernet port, so, yes. :)

I can tell you that a bridge will certainly work, but they're about $40. If you wait after the launch (tomorrow) I'm sure the word will get out quickly which USB wireless adaptors (if any) work with the 360.

7. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Yeah I was planning on waiting for that but I was just wondering if anyone already knew of any that worked already so I could pick one up. I'll just wait till see. I'm sure someone will try the moment they get it home.

8. NerdBoy macrumors member

NerdBoy

I actually don't see why and USB wi-Fi adapter wouldn't work, as long as no software is required.

9. NerdBoy macrumors member

NerdBoy

If not, it's probably because there is a pre-installed driver for the 360 usb adapter. even so, a ethernet bridge would be better, if you want a third-party(and a cheaper) wireless adapter.

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Seeing the way microsoft works i dont think they will allow any usb adapter to work besides their own. If you think about tivo, and how they support usb wifi and ethernet dongles is because they dont produce their own. Microsoft on the other hand makes their own. So allowing the xbox to support 3rd party usb dongles could possibly take away sales from their adapters.
    But hey, we wont know for sure until tomorrow!