Wireless for Pismo Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smythson, Jul 5, 2005.

1. smythson macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I need a wireless card for my Pismo Powerbook (it can't take a airport card) and I am running OS 9.2.2. I am looking for a Proxim 8410-WD Orinoco card but everywhere is all sold out. Does anyone know of something else that will work for my Mac and where I can get one posthaste?
    thanks,
    Jon

2. Video_Producer macrumors newbie

wireless card

I'm running OS 10.3 with Classic (yes classic) on a Pismo and using a Belkin 54G wireless card without any problems.

Rich

3. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Re: Wireless for Pismo Powerbook?

The Pismo does have an Apple Airport Card slot inside under the keyboard. I am just curious why your Pismo can't take an airport card?

Here are some Apple Airport compatible PCMCIA Cardbus wireless cards that plug into the PCMCIA Cardbus slot on the left side of the Pismo. Here is one from Belkin, and a couple from Buffalo here and here.

4. Video_Producer macrumors newbie

It probably could, but for the price of airport and card why ? I bought my wireless router and card for $30 new from Staples, the router was 20 and the card was 9.99. I love Apple but I'm not spending extra money for the name / logo

Rich

5. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Being the proud owner of a pismo myself, I can answer here. The airport slot for the Pismo is internal, and not readily installable. Thus, post-purchase installation of an airport card was never an option (sort of like the iMac now, where it's installed as part of the midplane.) However, the PCMCIA slot on the left side will readily accept a 3rd-party 802.11b or 802.11g PCMCIA card. Unfortunately, 802.11g is not supported on OS9 (I'm pretty sure) so you have to either use 802.11b or upgrade to OSX.

Dave

6. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Also being the proud owner of a Pismo myself, I installed an Airport card into my Pismo post-purchase. it is very easy to do. The Airport card connects to any wireless network anywhere. The internal Airport antenna in the Pismo is super strong and gets amazing reception. That makes the internal Airport card more than valuable. Plus it leaves the PCMCIA Cardbus slot open for other cards. Right now I have a Firewire 800 card in there. I also use a USB 2.0 card and a video card. :D