Wireless 'G'??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JLaFrance, Dec 12, 2004.

1. JLaFrance macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    I was flipping through the latest issue of Macmall and I kept seeing this 'wireless G basestation' with any system purchase, and I was wondering if this is compatible with airport cards. Im looking at the airport "frequency" and it's something something something.."B"
    what's the diff?

Also, some of the computers came with a wireless mouse and keyboard. But I can't shake the feeling that while these would be nice, i would think that in some cpu intensive game (world of warcraft..halo..) that there would be some sort of delay or inaccuracy, especially with the mouse, which I also fear would be prone to be knocked to the floor and crack or die or something..(i know that my current mouse has been saved many-a-time for certain death by the trusty cord) Would i be able to get the wireless keyboard but a normal mouse?

2. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    'g''s a newer and much faster standard to 'b' but you can use a 'b' card on a 'g' network, however it'll bring the network speed down to 'b'.

Yes you'll be able to get a wireless keyboard an still use a wired mouse.
  3. JLaFrance thread starter macrumors member

May 24, 2004

will apple upgrade to 'g'? It seems like they are usually up there with the latest and greatest.
  4. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Sorry should've said Apple have been using 'g' for a while. In fact I think they were first out of the gate.
  5. JLaFrance thread starter macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    so what of apple's runs using 'g'?
  6. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Airport Extreme cards and base station, as well as the new Airport Express.
  7. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Airport Extreme is Apple's name for "Wireless G" basically. Any currently shipping Mac is Wireless "G" compatible including the eMac and iBook G4.

Airport Express is also Wireless "G" compatible, it just has different/extra features from other Apple wireless base stations. Specifically it supports hooking up speakers to wirelessly play music from on your computer located in a different room.

And if you are that worried about dropping a mouse, don't be. They are all pretty much under $30 these days unless you get the really fancy multi-button trackballs and such.