Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The vast majority of wireless headphones are Bluetooth-based. As such, they'll work flawlessly with her Mac, as well as any smartphone or tablet she has.

To help narrow your search, I would start with three big questions:

1) What's the reason for going wireless? If it's simply to untangle or be able to walk around the apartment/house a bit, my initial statement about Bluetooth headphones being the way to go is fine. If the goal is to walk for longer distances - say, to walk around your yard (or perhaps to walk around a mansion), then Bluetooth may not cut it and you'll need to look for more specialized solutions.

2) What form factor does your wife prefer? Wireless headphones tend to come in two types: those for sports (smaller, usually in-ear headphones) and the more traditional "earmuff"-style headphones. Where and how she intends to use the headphones can help guide this one, as "earmuff"-style headphones can't really be used at the gym, but some people prefer the sport-style headphones even if they're only going to be using them at home. Some people find one form factor more comfortable than the other. Those with the better sound quality (and more features) tend to be "earmuff"-style.

3) Active or passive noise cancellation? Active noise cancellation has the headphones "listen" to your surroundings and then actively cancel the background noise out. They're bliss for environments like airplanes or homes with a lot of road noise. Again, if the headphones will only be used at home and your home is already pretty quiet, then active noise cancellation may be a wasted feature (read: money wasted).

Once those basic features have been locked down, you can start comparing different models and checking reviews.

Last edited:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I own a pair of AirPods and a pair of Beats Solo 3's. If this headphone will be used for calls and be taken outside the house, the AirPods are better. If all you want (or she wants) is to be able to listen to music/movies/etc. in the house then I would go with the Beats Solo 3's.

The main advantage of the Beats is that the battery lasts a *very* long time between charges -- even on calls if it were to be used for that. Plus, they sound great and help block out some of the household noise (though not as much as a Bose or other brand that is designed for noise cancellation).

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I own a pair of AirPods and a pair of Beats Solo 3's. If this headphone will be used for calls and be taken outside the house, the AirPods are better. If all you want (or she wants) is to be able to listen to music/movies/etc. in the house then I would go with the Beats Solo 3's.

The main advantage of the Beats is that the battery lasts a *very* long time between charges -- even on calls if it were to be used for that. Plus, they sound great and help block out some of the household noise (though not as much as a Bose or other brand that is designed for noise cancellation).

She uses them for the internet & face book only, no music. her current headphones are large earmuff style so I think she would want that style. She only uses them when at the computer.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
In that case, go with Beats Solo 3. They are great for that. If you look around online you might be able to find good deals. I got mine for $239 on NewEggs market with no tax or shipping.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I
She uses them for the internet & face book only, no music. her current headphones are large earmuff style so I think she would want that style. She only uses them when at the computer.
By "Internet," what do you mean? Movies? Just youtube videos? It sounds to me like your (wife) has very basic needs. If that's the case, you would be insane to buy Beats headphones—they're way overpriced.

The Beats Solo 3s are $300 and aren't even "over-the-ear" headphones. They're ON the ear headphones, which generally makes them a little less comfortable than over the ear. For basic computer-use-only headphones, I wouldn't waste money on noise-cancelling features, nor headphones that place a priority on size.

Quite frankly, if she will ONLY use them at the computer, I wouldn't waste the money on them being wireless at all. If you go with wired, you can get a really great pair for $100 or even less. Even Apple's overpriced Beats wired on-ear headphones are only $99.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I

By "Internet," what do you mean? Movies? Just youtube videos? It sounds to me like your (wife) has very basic needs. If that's the case, you would be insane to buy Beats headphones—they're way overpriced.

The Beats Solo 3s are $300 and aren't even "over-the-ear" headphones. They're ON the ear headphones, which generally makes them a little less comfortable than over the ear. For basic computer-use-only headphones, I wouldn't waste money on noise-cancelling features, nor headphones that place a priority on size.

Quite frankly, if she will ONLY use them at the computer, I wouldn't waste the money on them being wireless at all. If you go with wired, you can get a really great pair for $100 or even less. Even Apple's overpriced Beats wired on-ear headphones are only $99.

Do you own a pair? Cause I do and the Solo 3's are the most comfortable headphones I ever wore, and I have gone through many (including premium stuff like Bose). They are not noise-cancelling and don't claim to try to be. Ultimately, comfort is a very subjective thing so there may be more than opinion and both be correct.

The OP said he wanted wireless, not wired. I think the convenience of wireless is also worth it. After going wireless this year I can't imagine going back to cables.

If money isn't a problem and you're not optimizing for savings, you can't go wrong with Solo 3's (they come with a wire that you can plug in optionally if for some reason you did want to go wired at some point in the future).

If money is a problem and you have to go as cheap as possible then maybe something else will work better indeed.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Do you own a pair? Cause I do and the Solo 3's are the most comfortable headphones I ever wore, and I have gone through many (including premium stuff like Bose). They are not noise-cancelling and don't claim to try to be. Ultimately, comfort is a very subjective thing so there may be more than opinion and both be correct.

The OP said he wanted wireless, not wired. I think the convenience of wireless is also worth it. After going wireless this year I can't imagine going back to cables.

If money isn't a problem and you're not optimizing for savings, you can't go wrong with Solo 3's (they come with a wire that you can plug in optionally if for some reason you did want to go wired at some point in the future).

If money is a problem and you have to go as cheap as possible then maybe something else will work better indeed.

I have used Solo 3s, I didn't care for them at all. It's not the brand, it's the "on ear" part that I don't like. That pretty much kills it for me regardless of brand. The pressure they put on the ear is painful after a while. Over the ear not only are more comfortable for me, but because they create a "seal" over the ear, they do a pretty good job of removing outside noise without the expense, weight, and battery requirement of being "noise-cancelling" headphones.

But as you said, comfort is subjective. Everyone has different sized ears, head shape, etc... so it's really an individual choice. The best advice I can give is to go to a store and try a bunch of different kinds on.

I ended up with Bose wireless headphones. I love them. They also offer a wire connection option, which I use when watching movies on my computer. Many older Bluetooth headphones experience audio lag—causing the audio and video to be out-of-sync. Supposedly companies have since updated to the newer version of Bluetooth and the problem is much less common. YMMV. But I'm the same as you, I can't imagine going back to wired-only headphones, mostly because I use the same headphones for my desktop, iPhone and laptop. It's all seamless and automatic.

The only problem I have with Beats as a brand is the price. It's a premium priced brand but doesn't really offer anything more than other cheaper brands (other than they do look quite nice). I'll grant you that Bose is also a premium brand, but they were still cheaper than Beats, had better sound quality (in my opinion), and were more comfortable. But they certainly aren't the cheapest out there either.

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
My wife is very happy with the set of grey beoplay H7's I got her. Wireless, over-ear, good battery life and replacable battery, wired option (cable comes in the box). She says they're very comfortable for her. Not cheap, but look out for deals on for instance Amazon (I did ;)). They look nice too.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I'd go for the Bose Quietcomfort 35 for noise-cancellation, or Sennheiser RS120 for a decent set on budget.

MarcBou

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016

Comparing the Beats to the BOSE it's a joke, the Beats can't even dream of the Bose's comfort.

wiseoak1

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
BOSE QC35 are so comfortable, very happy with them. Especially if you wear glasses, you don't want on-ear headphones because they press and gonna hurt your ears/head.

MarcBou

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
BOSE QC35 are so comfortable, very happy with them. Especially if you wear glasses, you don't want on-ear headphones because they press and gonna hurt your ears/head.
Even if the BOSE QC35 are one of the best, for the usage his wife is gonna do I wouldn't go to something that expensive, for less money you have the BOSE soundLink II. Great sound quality and comfort.

Well, actually since she's just gonna use them for facebook and internet.. Something cheaper but comfortable would suit her better. In case the money is not a problem then go for the ones mentioned. Any of the BOSEs will give you great comfort.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
You may also want to look at Plantronics Sense for on-ear or BackBeat Pro for over-ear sets. Great sound, solid build, comfortable and excellent controls & features.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Headphones are a very personal experience and more and more enter the market every day. Just visit

http://head-fi.org/

and check out the craziness. I confess, I'm a member there. To get a good example of what is out there, try an Amazon search like this:

1. Search "headphones"
2. Select over-ear style filter. Generally, over ear is going to be more comfortable than on-ear, especially when the usage is not mobile but is desk- or room-bound. Note I said "generally" for those who wish to disagree with specific examples.
3. Select Bluetooth wireless style filter

There are more options than you can shake a stick at. Sort by price/ratings and read the reviews. Ultimately you're going to have to go by the experience of others at the price level you're comfortable with.

Unfortunately, Apple is not a supporter of the aptX protocol that can provide enhanced sound with Bluetooth. As such, unless you would also use the headphones with a non-Apple device that does support aptX, that feature may be irrelevant to your purchase decision. But most headphones now support aptX anyways with no price penalty.

Have fun!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I went with:

Ausdom M06 Lightweight Stereo Wired Wireless Bluetooth EDR Over Ear Headphones Deep Bass with Built-in Mic for Music Streaming Hands-free Calling Headset

I tried Apple's $79 in-ear ear pods and they worked great on a 3hr flight for passive noise reduction and they sounded great. But my ears would get itchy lol.

So, keeping in line with passive noise reduction, I went with over the ear headphones.

If I was ready to spend the money I would have done the Bose 35 headphones with it's active noise reduction.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I,m considering purchasing a wireless head phone for my Wife. I don't know where to start. She has a iMac with El Capitan.
Another vote for the Bose QC 35's. Mine arrived on Friday and I have to say I'm super happy with the noise cancelling, comfort and sound quality.
None of that awful hissing you get with some cheaper headphones.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I'd go for the Bose Quietcomfort 35 for noise-cancellation, or Sennheiser RS120 for a decent set on budget.

My Sennheisers only lasted 2 years and I just replaced them with the QC 35. What a huge difference in quality. Wish I'd never bought the Senns.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Purchased B&W P7 Bluetooth. Awesome. Replaced some wired AKG702. Says it all really.

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Even if the BOSE QC35 are one of the best, for the usage his wife is gonna do I wouldn't go to something that expensive, for less money you have the BOSE soundLink II. Great sound quality and comfort.

Well, actually since she's just gonna use them for facebook and internet.. Something cheaper but comfortable would suit her better. In case the money is not a problem then go for the ones mentioned. Any of the BOSEs will give you great comfort.

Are they wireless too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.