Wireless Headphones for iPod: Any working options?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by CSUNdude, Nov 27, 2005.

1. CSUNdude macrumors newbie

Hello fellow ipod lovers,

I have a click wheel/dock connector ipod and am looking for a good pair of wireless headphones. Thus far the only ones I could find come from Logitech, and after research have found that MANY users have had major problems with the non-adjustable plastic band breaking after as few as 2 weeks of use. Scary for a product priced at over $100!

Are there any other options that actually work well and dont break? I was so excited when I thought of this gift for my mother, and hope that it can still be a reality.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Dude

2. CSUNdude thread starter macrumors newbie

3. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I think I remember seeing some bluetooth headphones that used an adapter.. so they're really wireless.. sort of. You plugged a "dongle" of sorts into the earphone slot which then wirelessly connected to a set of headphones.. I have no idea what they were called though, I'll try looking around. I can't speak to how well they work though. Are you looking for wireless on the go? Or wireless at home/while stationary?

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

WOuldnt bother with wireless headphones just yet the technology is not good enough to support it, and make it an enjoyable affordable experience, just get a nice pair of wired headphones you will get much better sound quality and wont look like a clown when walking down the streets,

Shadow

5. geeman macrumors regular

Plantronics have just announced a bluetooth headset:

link here

6. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

They should make built-in Bluetooth support for the 6g.

7. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Why would you look like a clown wearing these:

http://www.nickknows.com/description.php?id=1263 ??

Anyone have any experience with these? Only problem i can see is sound quality, i like my sony earbuds that go deep into my ears....blocks out all other sound, i cant see these having that kind of quality

8. geeman macrumors regular

IMHO buck for buck, you're never going to get the same level of sound quality from wireless headphones (IR, Bluetooth, whatever) as you are from a 'proper' set of wired 'phones. You have to trade convenience for wires. Only you know whether that trade-off makes sense to you, and what level of sound quality you are prepared to accept.

Wireless phones either compress the signal or reduce dynamic range (or sometimes both :eek: ) in order to ensure uninterrupted music. Both solutions have the effect of reducing sound quality. The electronics required, added to the marketing department's insistence that the product must sell for less than $xx, means that the engineers have to select lower-spec driver units (the most expensive part) for the product - meaning that sound quality takes another hit.

That said, there are wireless headphones out there that give passable sound quality. Sennheiser's RS 65 are not bad at all - but then they're not the sort of thing that you can plug into an iPod and walk around in the street with. They're also nearly $200 :eek: and are still inferior in sound quality to buying a pair of wired headphones for $200.

Built-in BT in a 6G iPod? Wave goodbye to battery life, my friend...;)

9. Sic macrumors 6502

i dont know if this is relevant, maybe someone else will be able to comment on it. whenever i xfer pictures from my phone to my laptop, i get a transfer rate of around 50Kbps. all my music is => 192 kbps...so surely you'd always get an inferior sound until Bluetooth xfer rates are improved. now if it could be made wifi...that would be much better.

10. marknicholls macrumors 6502

I agree, can anyone tell me what happens with a 192kbps track being played over bluetooth? My bluetooth dongle transfers at a maxium of about 70kbps, unless im using Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    where i get a rate of about 300kbps

11. Scruge macrumors member

problem with these is you cant use them with 5g ipods :(

12. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

No, no... You two are a bit confused. Your phone transfers at 50kilobytes per second...

Now...

Your music plays at 192Kilobits per second... Meaning it was only playing at 24Kilobytes per second [192 devided by 8 = 24]

So @ 50kbps your phone could actually send 2 songs @ 192kbits per sec... BT EDR... Well.. You do the math...

Keeping sustained tranfer rates and battery life is another story...

13. marknicholls macrumors 6502

anyone know if they would work with a shuffle?

Thanks

14. mo-ca macrumors member

ive heared of imuffs.

[​IMG]

click the image for link

but for a german like me, the postage would be too much:
    if anyone got these, please give a feedback

15. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Personally

I wouldn't go for the logitechs. My sis has 'em and hates them. It might just be her pair, but she gets interference and volume/connection varies. If you wanted them for home you could get a pair of these sennheiser's:
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=sennheiser+wireless+headphones&pid=4777625503007569074&oid=10249386209095117264&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p&hl=en

Ive seent hem for sale and tried them at the sharper image. Good sound quality and affordable price (compared to the logitech's) but has a base station and are not portable:( . Other than that, a good house hold solution.

16. marknicholls macrumors 6502

I cant believe these are real!! iMuffs!! What a name!!

Problem for me is i want a new ipod video, so i im on the verge of buying one, and i will get a pair of wireless headphones one way or another, only thing im a bit scared of if spending £100 on headphones, £240 on a new iPod for apple to release a wireless ipod with wireless built in in a months time....it would make me a bit mad!

17. mo-ca macrumors member

the price is quite hard, but i dont think, that apple will produce build-in wireless in ipod. would be not fair to your batteries ...

the imuffs are looking strange, but i think they are the current best deal, although i didnt found any recommendations ...

18. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

They won't work with the Shuffle either. Those headphones don't work with any of the iPods Apple currently sells. They will only work with the iPod mini and the previous generations of the iPod.

19. mo-ca macrumors member

yup ... but the thread-starter wanted something for his click-wheel-ipod. and for me its the 4g [well ... the 5g got also a click-wheel].

what i dont like [except for the price]
    ... and your ipod batterie would be drained step by step ...

20. Russel473 macrumors newbie

leaks

When anyone around me is wearing one of those type of headphones, i can always hear it leak the music so i can hear it. I personally don't like that type because of that. There is a type of wireless headphones that aren't out yet but their called RS-WHPIP @ http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpages/iT-phone.html .
    its kind of bulky but it looks good.

21. Russel473 macrumors newbie

Macally

I just found some wireless headphones that don't go around your head but on top. they cost around $110 (American money) at amazon. they got a b- because they are only compataible with ipod )not a prolem) and they don't have much control on the headphones themself. you can see them here -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...24622-5543818?s=electronics&v=glance&n=172282

They compared them to some other blue tooth ones and said these had the best sound quality.