Wireless Headphones

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aelyrin, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Aelyrin macrumors member

Hello Everyone!

I just bought and am currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new 17in MBP stock notebook and am in the market for a nice set of wireless headphones.

Ergonomics are important to me as I tend to wear them for many hours per day, I ave never purchased a set of wireless phones however and am curious as to which brands make a nice set.

Are there any bluetooth ones available that are "tried and true"?

My useage is mainly listening to music and possibly gaming, I do not need a "headset" speaker set with mic, just the headphones themselves.

Thanks in advance!

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Best of luck finding a good wireless headphone. I sell a certain manufacturers product which has a full line of headphones. There are two issues with wireless headphones.

1) Bandwidth. You will be getting very poor sound quality
    2) Battery Life. You will be getting very crappy battery life.

Conclusion. It isn't worth it. Buy a pair of wired headphones, especially if sound quality is important to you. Wireless headphones will eat batteries for breakfast and sound like crap.

3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I agree.
    Wireless headphones sound like a cool idea, but the technology just isn't there yet.
    Get a wired pair.

For the record, I have this pair of headphones.
    They're cheap, have good sound quality, and can be folder up small enough to fit in a laptop bag.

4. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

i purchased Wi-Gear's iMuff's for my iPod and i love them. I'm not audiophile, but i've a drummer for over 10 years, so i do know what sounds good. I use them for my iPod, MBP, and cellphone. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!! They sound the best with the iPod, and depending on my relationship to my laptop at the time, they sound either ok or semi-decent. They are ok for phone use, but get's really odd hearing someone in both of my ears.:confused: As far as ergonomics, they are a dream. Definately not the "coolest" looking things you could wear on your ears, but i wear them for atleast 8 hours a day, and hardly ever notice them. I've used the logitech ones before, and they always hurt the tops of my ears. Battery life is good as well. I get about two good days out of them before they need to charge (that's in use, so like 16+ HOURS...and it would probably help if i turned them off more often). Just my 2¢

http://wi-gear.com/

-JE

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

for $180 they better be the best wireless headphones you've ever seen.. for that price i'd buy a really nice set of wired headphones that sound amazing.

6. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

well i didn't pay $180 for them. I found them for sale on PowerMax.com when i bought them. But even then i payed like $150, and i don't regret it one bit. For $150, i go the ability to:

1: set a playlist and throw my ipod in my bag and not touch it again for my entire day at school and work.

2: The security of not announcing to the world "HEY, THERE IS AN IPOD IN MY FRONT RIGHT POCKET...JUST FOLLOW MY WHITE HEADPHONE CABLE!!!!" Very common for these things to get stolen at my college.

3: The ability to pause my music and answer my phone with the same device and the push of a button.

4: I get to use the same device as a headset on my laptop...great for skype.

i would never han any need for $180 wired headphones...they can't sound that good.

-JE

7. Aelyrin thread starter macrumors member

When answering your phone calls on them, im confused, is there a mic on the headset as well, or do you use the phones speaker capability?

16 hours of battery life, they dont get uncomfortable, what is the recharging system like? not something I have to lug around with me?

Also, how "big" is the thing you have to plug into your laptop to connect them?

and the most important question of all.... Does the bluetooth on them allow it to connect directly to my laptops integrated blue tooth so I wouldnt ahve to "plug" anything into the laptop to receive signal?

8. Aelyrin thread starter macrumors member

Answered one of my own questions, apparently there is a mic, I am just not seeing it on the headset, where is it physically located?

9. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

it's located on the right ear phone piece. It doesn't stick out, just a couple of holes on it for speaking into. It amazes me that it picks up the sound, since my voice would project away from it, but it picks up well. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but that's the best i could do.

All you need to charge it is the USB cable it comes with (so you can charge it from your laptop or desktop) and a small USB Power Adapter to charge it from the wall.

I connect to my laptop via the bluetooth. It works well enough. It's probably the least good sounding one, and sometimes (depending on wehere i am in relation to my laptop) sound downright bad. I do want to say, that when using with an iPod, i get a good 15-20 (unobstucted) feet for range. It's really awesome. Having the controls on the headphones really helps.

10. Aelyrin thread starter macrumors member

What type of laptop do you have? Is the bluetooth integrated 2.0+EDR?

11. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

i have a 15" MacBook Pro 2.0ghz. So yes, the bluetooth is integrated 2.0+EDR. I think it's an issue with Apple's bluetooth drivers or their internal bluetooth adapter. Cause the headphones sound downright awesome with my iPod.

-JE