Wireless Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Im trying to help my aunt out. She is a newbie user and this is her first mac. She just got the intel iMac. She keeps her wireless router in the basement. It is an older b router. Where she wants to keep her computer, she gets no wireless signal. In the next room, she gets a signal. What should she buy to increase the range or strength of the antenna? She has other computers running on the wireless. Will a g router solve her problems? Airport is to expensive, so i would get her like a netgear g router. What about an extender?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The difference between 802.11B and 802.11G is the speed, not the range. Having said that, 802.11G routers are generally newer and typically have a better range. Depending on the brand of router, you'd be wanting an extender. This may be hard to find for an older router (possibly impossible) so perhaps the best option is to get a new 802.11G router and if need be, an extender. :)

FWIW, I've heard mixed reports about Netgear's reliability. Maybe look into a Linksys instead.