Wireless help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meljul, Sep 26, 2006.

1. meljul macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006
    First time apple user here---just got a macbook last wednesday.

I have been using wireless internet since then. Last night it was working slow, while my airport signal was just as strong as usual. Then Safari kept saying I was not connected to the internet and Airport continued to tell me that I was connected.

I really don't know what I am doing, or what my settings should be--so clueless here.

I tried restarting my computer, shutting it down for a while, resetting my router, unplugging my router, etc.

Right now I am connected via my built in ethernet.

If, by chance I get it all working again it only last for a few minutes and the internet no longer works.

Sorry if this is a newbie, idiotic question, but I really am at a loss at what to do.
  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    How close are you, phsycially, to you router?

What happens to your airport display when you lose your connection? Does it stay fully "turned on," or does it turn a light gray?
  3. meljul thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006
    my router is in the next room, and my signal is always high even when Safari says that I do not have a connection.
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Shut down airport and start it up again...check your other apps that need internet access like ichat and see if you are able to get online.

5. annk Administrator

Staff Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Restarting the router will often help - unplugg it, wait a few mins, then plug it in again.

When airport tells you you have a connection, but you can't get online, you know at least that the problem is not the router, but the modem/line into the house.

This has occasionally happened to me, and usually restarting the router has solved the problem. Once, it turned out that the router had freaked out and didn't understand which IP address to assign my computer (my router assigns random addresses), so I had to go into the router set-up via my computer and click on the "connect" or "reassign" button (don't remember the exact wording on the button). But this last solution was only necessary when I'd been away from home for many days straight - I think the router didn't recognize me after a week's absence.