Wireless help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mackinoe, Mar 20, 2007.

1. mackinoe macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2007
    I Just got my new macbook today and I've been having difficulty connecting to my wireless network. This is my first mac so i'm slightly confused, I get it to find my wireless network and then I have to enter in my password and i do but it just wont connect and i dont understand what i'm doing wrong. Ive gone through network setup assistant and everything and it just comes up with password is incorrect but it really isnt.
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Are you using an appropriate length password? I had a problem like that for a while, until I found you had to have a 13-character long password for my network. Here's a good guide for the right length password to choose:
  3. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    In addition to Living's comments..

There are also many types of secure wireless networks available.

-WEP HEX

Knowing which of these your wireless network uses, will be a great start. IF you are unsure what you have, you can gather this information from an other system that uses your wireless.

Are there any other wireless connected systems you can take a peek at ?
  4. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    The password you need to enter is the encryption password of your wireless network, not the password to your user account.
  5. mackinoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2007
    Ive had my old laptop connected to the wireless connection before using a WPA password with no problems at all. Maybe my router isnt mac compatible or something?
  6. gavd macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2006
    I'm guessing the answer is no, but I was just wondering if you have your router set to only allow access to certain MAC addresses and you haven't added your new MacBook?
  7. mackinoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2007
    I've checked all the settings and everything is Ok, too be honest I think it must just be a problem with the router its been acting strange for a couple of months anyway.
  8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    if you can connect with the old laptop, then the router should be working.
  9. kestelli macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2007
    One more question...

Sorry to add one more question but my problem is very similar and I have hit the dead-end...

I have a wireless DSL modem/router. My wife was able to connect with her ibook G4. Than I purchased this new MacBook. First I have heard of this 13 digit encryption thing. So instead of changing to 13 digits I have reset the modem and removed the encryption altogether. Yet my mac still wouldn't connect... Any idea anyone?
  10. ricksz macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2007
    Wireless connection password

I also had trouble connecting my new iMac to the existing wireless network we have at home. The network was automatically detected but it required a password to join the network. My network has a 128bit WEP password setup which I found expressed as 26 character (hex) string. To enter it and be accepted I found you have to put a $ in front of this 26 char string. That was the trick to allow you to enter the password in the hex form. I think without the $ out front it expects a 13 character password (which is the ascii equivalent of the 26 hex values - each pair of hex converting to an ascii character). Hope that helps.
  11. nightsky macrumors member

Feb 18, 2007
    It worked :)

Just change the from WEP Password to 128bit Hex ... off drop dwn menu and I was in.. Thanks