Wireless in school...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lolerskates, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lolerskates macrumors newbie

I'm at my college and they seem to have some sort of block on the wireless internet that prevents me from playing online game like world of warcraft, or logging on AIM. Does anyone know how I can get around this? Thanks in advance!

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Every generation of students breeds a new urge to get past the school network firewalls and access limits :) , it's only nature :p

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

haha... in short, if they block you, don't you get the hint that you aren't supposed to do it

every generations students gets smarter a bit, but somehow they can never understand this concept.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since you don't seem to know for certain whether these blocks are there on purpose, you might as well ask and find out for sure.

If they are there on purpose then by policy we don't let forum members provide help to others in circumventing school policy.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I can see them blocking WOW,but not really AIM. AIM could be used for academic use, as in contacting someone to study with. Sorry, not sure how to get around it.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think most of the times, AIM is not used for academic reasons.

but as Doctor Q said, why don't you ask them whether those are blocked?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've seen cases where schools have gone too far in blocking sites that can be of academic use. Even at our middle school, teachers are blocked from useful sites because they are subject to the same school district blocks that students are.

There is often a process by which you can request that a block be lifted from a specific site or service, if you can justify it, but the policies on major well-known sites and services are probably quite hard to change.

8. Lolerskates thread starter macrumors newbie

Well look regardless of whether they want us to or not.... I've seen many people on PC laptops who are on both, and they told me to change the port to 53 or something like that, but I don't know enough about macs to know how to do this. And I'm not playing DURING class, I have somewhat of a 5 hour break, and nothing to do.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's hard to imagine that universities are low on bandwidth, but limiting use of the Internet, even by students relaxing in the dorm on Saturday night, might be intended to conserve their computing resources.

But if you paid tuition for Internet access, perhaps you should grab a picket sign and let them know you don't like their limits.

10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

11. Blubbert macrumors 6502

At my university we have a limited internet bandwith. We get only 4 gigs of download and 512 mb of upload during a seven day period. If we go over it, we get our internet access suspended for a week.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That can be like charging for drinking too much from the water fountain. I'd expect those allowances to increase over the long term, but of course our demands for bandwidth increase too. For example, some professors offer their lectures as videos.

13. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Its simply silly, and the only explanation i got after asking why the system is in place is that the students are using over 50% of the university's bandwith. Now, why cant an university that has roughly 33000 students get more bandwith is simply baffling.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Presumably, it's not a technical problem, it's just about money. Maybe they forgot to ask for the bulk discount!

15. Lolerskates thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this has sort of deviated away from my original topic... yes it is a college, but one with no dorms ( community college), so there isn't as big of a threat of running out of bandwidth as a uni. would have. Though I did figure out how to use AIM, but I still don't know how to get WOW to run. If anyone knows how to get it to work I would appreciate the help...

16. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Surely 100% of the bandwidth should be available to the students though? They are paying for it after all, and it is there for their use.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you have evidence that the school allows WOW, and it's just awkward to set up within their network, let me or our moderators know and we'll reopen this thread. In the meantime, we have to assume that it's school policy to prevent it, so forum members can't help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.