Wireless Instability Please Help.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RonJ83, Nov 2, 2004.

1. RonJ83 macrumors member

Ever since i updated my Airport, my stability with my wireless router has been unstable, the only time it is ever 100% is when i connect hardline directly to the cable modem. my PC is working fine so i doubt its the router, but when i connect the cable to the router to my computer its again unstable. please help me if you can.

Ron

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

You know what, my wireless has been pretty crappy too since I installed the update. I thought it was my router, but after reading this post I looked more into it and it must be my airport card :(.

Comon Apple, fix this!

BEN

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I have the latest installed and it's working fine (showing two ticks from 100% reception in Internet Connect app). But, even though I have an Airport Extreme base station, I'm using it in 802.11b-only mode and my PowerBook card is one of the older (non-Extreme) versions.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

We had a problem around here recently when a neighbor installed a new wireless router on the same channel. Try setting your base station to a different channel.

5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I'm the only wireless thing out here, and this happened when I installed the airport update. I'm running a PB 12inch 1.33 GHz with a airport extreme card.

BEN

6. RonJ83 thread starter macrumors member

i thought it was my router too but my 2 other PCs work fine, im the only person in my neighborhood with wireless. whats going on here? im not liking this.

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It's disappointing that we both have the same setup computer wise. What kind of router are you using? I'm on an older linksys one running at 11M/s.

If we both have the same stuff, maybe it's time to head over to the apple forums and see if there are any similar problems.

BEN

8. RonJ83 thread starter macrumors member

i have a netgear same @11, where is the app forum?

9. Gee macrumors 65816

I had a similar problem and changing channels fixed it, as the chap above suggests. It may not necessarily be someone else with a wireless network that's interfering, it might be something like a neighbour's new microwave oven or cordless phone.....

10. RonJ83 thread starter macrumors member

i dont know how to change the channel on my router, but when i connected a hardline to the routher, i still had instabilities...so i know its not the routers problem.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

So you have probs both wirelessly and wired :confused: And you don't think its the router? :confused:

12. RonJ83 thread starter macrumors member

i know its not the router cause my other 2 PCs work fine.