Wireless Internet Access (Not Wi-Fi)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AnotherMortal, Jul 6, 2003.

1. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

So for awhile now Verizon and other CDMA cellular providers have been offering this 1xRTT (Express Network from Verizon) and GPRS/GSM providers have been offering similar service.

I'll be moving in the next few months, and spend alot of time traveling between Harrisburg, PA and Baltimore, MD. Has anyone had experience with these so-called "Wireless Broadband" internet services, and and experience using them on Macs? I'd go with straight Cable/DSL like I already have, but because I spend alot of time going back and forth, I'd really like to have something I can use "anywhere"

I am aware of software from Smith Micro called "Quicklink" for the Mac which supposedly allows connectivity with my Motorola v120e phone and the Express Network, but will I achieve anything greater than 14.4 connections? If I don't get atleast dialup performance, I'm not really interested.

2. DFG01 macrumors newbie

wireless internet connectivity for Macs

Have you checked out www.bluemobility.com?

I purchased my Sanyo 8100 through them and am using the modem to connect at about 60 kbps or faster. More often than not, faster.

I love it! As long as I am within Sprint coverage I can connect. I use it with my PowerBook and am seriously considering getting a PCMCIA card through them.

Check em' out.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I know this isn't what your looking for, but some people find internet use through their cell phone to slow. I that a T-mobile account and use the local Hotspots as well as the free hotspots in town. A thread on the subject.

I know of only one person that has used T-mobile's access through their phone and they were happy.

4. legion macrumors 6502a

I use the T-Mobile hotspots too (it's fairly cheap for its versatility $30/month unlimited) and very fast (11Mbs w/o overhead)-- especially since there is no saturation of bandwidth in most locations since the tech seems to be slow to take off. I'm actually using it right now :)

As for the Verizon service, I doubt it'd be compatible in Germany. 3G tech is what works best over there. The speed is no greater than a 56K dial in modem. It'd be better to get two mobile phones with bluetooth and use them as modems (or a GSM phone with changeable SIM cards for Germany vs US) Since T-Mobile is such a large carrier in Europe, I'd check with them if they have any solutions.

(BTW, though I mentioned T-Mobile alot, my personal cell phone is AT&T because it has one of the best receptions here in in LA; it'd say it's a tie between NexTel and AT&T. Just wanted to show no bias.)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

www.bluemobility.com runs on Sprint's Network. And you get speeds in excess of 60kbps, up to 144 kbps (not 14.4). Since the FCC doesn't limit the data speeds, in the future it may be possible to go even faster with the same equipment.

TEG

6. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I am looking for broadband wireless access (not wi-fi) and all the major carriers have offerings though none of them seems to work with mac (besides Sprint)... Anyone out there with experience with these type of services? Will it work with Mac, how is Ichat wireless?

Tx!